Thread: Beware fake Provent 200 / 100

Users Country Flag

Beware fake Provent 200 / 100

Hi all,

Had a great meeting down in Sydney with Mann and Hummel Australia yesterday, and they passed on some great info on China fakes currently in the market. These are HORRIBLE, and I've just gotten off the phone from yet another bloke stung by this nightmare. Over the weekend I saved a Subaru guys arse by explaining that he was getting air leaks into his system from one of these, and got a used 42DD can to him pronto for a big dyno day. A genuine Provent won't cause problems, but the fakes sure do. Mann are pursuing this, far more than they were willing to tell me, so hopefully the problem will be "reduced".

Fake Provent 200’s.

Since late 2012, Provent copies out of China have been offered for sale in Australia. These were initially labelled as the genuine item, but increasing pressure from Mann and Hummel, the German based manufacturer of the real Provent, has seen these re-labeled and rebranded. This article has been produced with the assistance of Mann and Hummel Australia who are very concerned with these vastly inferior items being offered as anything like the real thing. Currently they are aware of fake 100’s and the most popular version, the 200. Read on and be sure to make an informed decision.

The genuine Provent 200 is over 90% efficient, and testing has shown the copies to be around 20% below this – interestingly in the league of the more petrol orientated 42 Draft Designs oil catch cans I also offer. As for how long the filter element lasts, well there is zero data or research behind that. The genuine Mann filter element does not fit, so you are stuck with whatever the China one is made of, and I guess you also have to hope the supply of China replacement elements continues.

These factors aside, the biggest issue is the fact the pressure relief valve, and the internal pressure regulator simply don’t work as they should. On the side of the Provent 200 is a pressure regulator that works to manage internal pressure as the input into the can changes with engine speeds and load. These relief valves did not work AT ALL on the fakes tested. This valve works to maintain crankcase pressure within an acceptable range, even with variable flow rates, negative pressures and varying gas volumes. This controlled rate is also requred for the filter medium to work effectively. The factory in China shouldnlt have bothered even adding this part to their unit.

The second safety device built into the Provent 200 is the pressure relief valve in the lid. Should the element ever block, or any internal blockage occur, the Provent vents to atmosphere protecting your engine, and your various seals in particular, as the crankcase pressure will be forced to find another way out. The fake lid relief valve failed after only a few normal engine heat cycles, so there goes that safety backup as well. Oh and the fake lid often falls apart anyway, another way to easily pick it. So if the fake ever blocks, and I'd put my money on that happening over the real one anyday, you will force oil out your main seals, turbo bearings, valve seals and if the pressure continues, well you get the picture. Again you have to wonder why China bothered, they should have just built a lid that stays together instead.

The pictures below are some tell tale ways to currently pick the fake Provent 200. No doubt this information will eventually find its way back to the Chinese factory currently producing these copies ( an electronics company with zero filter experience by the way ), but so too Mann, and all authorized sellers of the genuine Provent range will continue to inform the consumer as to how to make an educated decision as to what exactly they are buying.
    Last edited by Transporter; 20-08-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Last edited by Greg Roles; 20-08-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.