Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forester XT to MKV GTI to MKVI R to Audi S3

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Finally sourced some S3 branded floor mats.

As I did with the R, I'll put the dealers ones away in storage for when we sell it.

Users Country Flag
    I disconnected the sound actor device in my work friends Mk7 R at his request. Sounded absolutely horrible and fake with it fitted. Sounds much better with it unplugged.

Same as the Mk6, much better with the sound actor removed/disconnected.

No doubt the S3 uses the same/similar sound generator as the Mk7 R?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Not sure Lucas but it sounds vastly different to the one in my MKVI R (and sounded very different to the MKVII R we test drove).

It is a personal thing I guess. The S3 one allows you to alter the volume output in settings

With or without it on, it is still a turbo 4

Edit - must get around to putting up an EOI on the R. Most likely sell once the car arrives as we don't need the cash for the purchase but would be nice to sell it via this forum to someone interested in a clean MKVI R.
    Last edited by Candyman; 10-07-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
    Adam - re the lag. Yep, as with the VW, it is the FBW/DBW. Get a pedal box mate, simple plug and play. I know the VW equivalent gets shot down a bit on the forums but if it makes it seem better, why not. As I said, didn't notice it much on the demos we tried but if ours shows it, I'll drop a PB in but I want to get used to the vehicle for at least 3 months before anything gets added (or removed) . Quicker and cheaper than a tune and the S3 as it is, fast enough without the complications of the APR tune ....Some had mentioned that the delay in throttle response might have been dealt with in the MY16 ?
    Unfortunately my car arrived just after the first group-buy had finished up on ozAudi (close to 20 were in for it I believe). I've put my name down for the next one but the thread's gone quiet. Might have to buy one at full retail!

The DBW throttle lag is very noticeable in the S-tronic in certain situations only - like when you're wanting to turn right ahead of oncoming traffic and you want instant response from a light measured throttle application, and it feels like it's doing absolutely nothing. Having come from a DSG Mk6 GTI for 5 years and having driven many many other DSG-equipped cars I can say that it's all down to the throttle mapping of the S3 and isn't a characteristic of the DQ250 in general, and a lot of people on ozAudi were complaining very loudly about it - hence the size of the group buy. I'm sure you'll notice the lag/delay with time under certain situations; as to whether it bothers you or not is another question entirely (it doesn't bother my dad enough to get a PedalBox; he just makes a note of using 90%+ throttle every single time he takes off, and that never gets tired, heh).

I (wrongly) assumed that the throttle lag wouldn't be an issue for me with a manual; it's still a problem, but in a very different way. It's just incredibly docile in 1st gear and you need to mentally rethink how much throttle is needed (lots) to get going at the speed you intend. I suppose it's programmed for traffic driveability and to ensure the car is easy for rough drivers to drive without throwing the car around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    No doubt the S3 uses the same/similar sound generator as the Mk7 R?
    Same general type of mechanism, but quite a different sound effect. The S3 is much more muted and has something of an older WRX burble to it from inside the car at certain revs with the Soundaktor on its Dynamic setting.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Adam - I'll need to see how the car goes when we get it. Second test drive today and not getting this delay/lag ?

I tried hard to find situations that would cause it.

We also drove an S3 cab, seemed quite slow compared to the R ?

Weird.

If there is a GB still running after we get our car and I see an issue, I'll be in for it for sure as I'm definitely not tuning the car.
    8VSS2L/16 E9E9 XG MP SPP1 4ZD 6XK CSC5P with an extra free 10kW

Forester XT to MKV GTI to MKVI R to Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Congrats Candyman - you're going to love it
    Changed PP2 to PP1 (nicer wheels) added the exterior gloss black option.

VIN being emailed next week

Euro plates ordered.

Tint sorted.

Let the games begin

Will look like this (slightly different wheels however)

Last edited by Candyman; 13-07-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Woohoo - dealer said they would include the Optics option in my original price. So, I now have $800 to spend on "stuff".

I'm open to suggestions .....

Will look like this (slightly different wheels however)

Ah, if only. That has the US-spec bracket-free grille; we get the European-spec grille with the plate bracket and reinforcement. (A few guys on ozAudi are doing the swap; costs a bit over $1k in parts, plus the labour to fit it.)

Forester XT to MKV GTI to MKVI R to Audi S3

Yep but I couldn't find an image of Sepang Blue with black optics

I prefer the grill with the cross piece and we bought full size euro plates so none of that issue with wrong sized Aussie plates

I prefer the grill with the cross piece and we bought full size euro plates so none of that issue with wrong sized Aussie plates
    I'm very tempted to do the US grille retrofit on mine at some stage; with the chrome grille it really makes things look much less busy (although there's only so much you can improve it when you have the front radar). Full-sized Euro plates do improve the look quite a bit, although even then I still find it's not as elegant as the bracket-less option personally.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast