Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashing key dash light 2001 Audi A3

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    That's a stand alone immobiliser, like we had in the UK to get cheaper insurance. Is the car an import maybe? Not all had remote locking from memory.
    Nah it's not an import

Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    so if it's standalone maybe the immo has been defeated?
    I think it is and that's why it's flashing. The other keys all don't work. Only one does and it's aftermarket. So what would that mean?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kaspa_lee View Post
    That would be really helpful actually, I want to know whether I should spend any more money getting remotes/programming etc. Yeah they've had the car since new and don't really remember. They told me that the original remotes interfered with something but couldn't tell me what.

Looks like this:

I think the red smiley face thing and key I'm using is aftermarket. They told me they had a working remote before with central locking.

I guess I want to know if I buy original remotes whether I'd be able to use them and get them programmed
    Hmm...

i wonder why they used an aftermarket immobiliser in the first place (if it's not an import)... instead of sorting out a proper set of keys

In order to program you need VCDS, a spare set of blank keys to cut (not sure if A3's are 2 button or 3 button), IMMO "pill" transponder.

Looks like you have the SKC (it'd be one of the codes on the white tag) to be able to get VCDS to code the IMMO chip to the car. Only other hurdle is you need to know what fob to get to talk to the central locking module. I might be wrong but they have different part numbers so run on different frequencies.

If you don't wanna go to Audi I think your best bet is to maybe suss. out what part number your central locking module is.
    if it's the same as the S3 it'll be in the boot, passenger side, open up the boot trim and look behind the passenger side tail light - under it should for a foam covered box that usually has a zip tie around it. get the part number off of that and then try google what part number key fob corresponds to that central locking module (as the bottom half with the buttons has the bit that controls central locking - the top part that has the sidewinder key in it and has the IMMO chip)

One you have that sorted then you can put it all together (complete key assembly, IMMO chip, SKC, VCDS) and reprogram them.

Which key starts the car from your photo? I'm guessing the one that is on the left?

The others SHOULD start the car if they are genuine to the car unless the IMMO has been bypassed somehow

maybe you need to remove the trim that's under the steering wheel to be able to see how things are wired up. maybe the bit that reads the authentic key IMMO transponder reader has been bypassed/cut/broken?

PM me if you wanna do a scan - i'm in Melb SE but heading up toward town tomorrow
    Last edited by IanPGonzaga; 01-11-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    Hmm...

i wonder why they used an aftermarket immobiliser in the first place (if it's not an import)... instead of sorting out a proper set of keys

In order to program you need VCDS, a spare set of blank keys to cut (not sure if A3's are 2 button or 3 button), IMMO "pill" transponder.

Which key starts the car from your photo? I'm guessing the one that is on the left?

The others SHOULD start the car if they are genuine to the car unless the IMMO has been bypassed somehow

maybe you need to remove the trim that's under the steering wheel to be able to see how things are wired up. maybe the bit that reads the authentic key IMMO transponder reader has been bypassed/cut/broken?

PM me if you wanna do a scan - i'm in Melb SE but heading up toward town tomorrow
    Cool, I have work full-time but maybe I later in the week if you have some time? THanks for the offer and the assistance so far. The only key that starts the car is the one on the left the genuine or valet key starts then stalls

I actually have the key fob part number already (audi gave it to me after quoting my VIN) it's 4D0837231 N01C and this seems to fit most 8L cars. So I basically have everything I need including the code.

But the question you raise is a good one - I think the factory immobiliser has been bypassed and therefore the genuine keys do not work. Why that is I'm not sure, I will ask the previous owners

WA law means you HAVE to have an immobiliser fitted to the vehicle, however doesn't make sense when there is a factory one... The immobilisers fitted are a very basic ignition cut style so it wouldn't be an issue with that most likely.

They key coil and module are seperate to the ignition themselves, best bet is try coding/testing which keys function and see if it goes away.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag
    i sent you a PM

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kaspa_lee View Post
    Cool, I have work full-time but maybe I later in the week if you have some time? THanks for the offer and the assistance so far. The only key that starts the car is the one on the left the genuine or valet key starts then stalls

I actually have the key fob part number already (audi gave it to me after quoting my VIN) it's 4D0837231 N01C and this seems to fit most 8L cars. So I basically have everything I need including the code.

But the question you raise is a good one - I think the factory immobiliser has been bypassed and therefore the genuine keys do not work. Why that is I'm not sure, I will ask the previous owners
    that genuine valet key - you should be able to split the top section into halves - open it up carefully - is there a chip inside??? it's like a grain of rice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12