Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi TT 1.8t

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, I went quite for a while having a think and finally came up with an option.

Today i bought myself a wrecked 225 (BAM engine) quattro audi tt from Milperrra Pickles Auctions and just towed it home.
    So now i have acess to a lot of the stuff i need. However, i think im creating more problems for myself in the meantime haha.

I was thinking just straight swap in the bigger MAF, injectors, dual intercoolers, the K04-022 turbo and manifold etc and then go get it tuned. This was why i bought the wreck as i got the whole car cheaper than all the parts i would have needed seperately.

Next i thought to myself "But quattro" so i might as well do a full engine swap, swap in the quattro (If its possible to mount it up to non quattro), ECU, everything into my working car and then pray that its happy and turn the key.

Or to add in some more thinking time.... I keep the wrecked car and swap bits into it. It came from the auctions as a WOVR N/A which I think that means i can register it again without having to pass a detailed write off inspection. However, this means getting a whole new dash (airbags went off and ruined it and the steering wheel), swapping in a new front end support brackets, Fenders, bonnet, new headlights, radiator, aircon radiator, various other bits and peices and one of the side mount intercoolers, then reset the computer etc. This is all if the frame isnt bent underneath and the engine isnt ****ed as well (which it doesnt look like on a quick inspection)

I only got the car today so ive been doing a lot of thinking but theres definitely some fun spanner spinning to come. Would welcome anyones thought or ideas

Cheers all!

Users Country Flag
    should've just got a 225 tt

but sounds like a fun project if you're going to do the conversion!

Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    should've just got a 225 tt

but sounds like a fun project if you're going to do the conversion!
    Very true, i did realise that once i bought the wrecked 225 TT, and i realised a few other things.

I ended up leaving my own 1.8T engine in the TT and started to convert all the auxillaries to do with the 225 over to it. Its taken me two weeks and i only just finished custom fabricating the Down pipe from the trubo to my aftermarket exhaust today. I have learnt S**T loads in the past few weeks on the engines and how bloody different they are just from one to the other, but in essence i suppose they have to be to make sure they are perfect for each application.

Anyway, I've been in contact with GIAC in Sydney and looks like I will head up there next week to get my new goodies tuned in. The only difference is that i dont have Quattro or the 6 speed gearbox. However, I've looked at this in a good way. With less weight and a harder tune than just 165kw the car will be quite quick and will be a little different in comparison to other 225 TT's out there, which is what i really wanted to aim for all along.

Fingers crossed it all goes well and the results are what im looking for. Thanks again for everyones help.

Users Country Flag
    good work!!!

so what did you end up switching over?

Quote Originally Posted by IanPGonzaga View Post
    good work!!!

so what did you end up switching over?
    Good question! So there are a LOT of differences between the 225 K04 1.8t's and my old K03 1.8t.

To get the dual side mount intercoolers i had to swap over the intake manifolds so i could have the throttle body on the passengers side of the car, and in doing this i had to rewire a lot of the sensors so they would have the right length to fit.

Not only the turbo swap to the bigger K04, but exhaust manifolds, changing the n265 and n75 over as they both sat in vaguely different spots. A lot of the intercooler piping i had to fabricate because i had broken pipes from the front end damaged wrecked TT i bought for the parts. Injectors (although i havent put these in yet) to suit the bigger turbo with the tune, along with the 3" MAF. It also took me all day from 8.30am to about 5pm to fabricate the dump pipe from the wrecked TT to suit my aftermarket exhaust, a lot of fitting, cutting, welding, refitting and measuring.

That was pretty much it. Was a much bigger job than i first anticipated but it was fun and i learnt a heap.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by volkieboy View Post
    Good question! So there are a LOT of differences between the 225 K04 1.8t's and my old K03 1.8t.

To get the dual side mount intercoolers i had to swap over the intake manifolds so i could have the throttle body on the passengers side of the car, and in doing this i had to rewire a lot of the sensors so they would have the right length to fit.

Not only the turbo swap to the bigger K04, but exhaust manifolds, changing the n265 and n75 over as they both sat in vaguely different spots. A lot of the intercooler piping i had to fabricate because i had broken pipes from the front end damaged wrecked TT i bought for the parts. Injectors (although i havent put these in yet) to suit the bigger turbo with the tune, along with the 3" MAF. It also took me all day from 8.30am to about 5pm to fabricate the dump pipe from the wrecked TT to suit my aftermarket exhaust, a lot of fitting, cutting, welding, refitting and measuring.

That was pretty much it. Was a much bigger job than i first anticipated but it was fun and i learnt a heap.
    225 hp engine runs lower compression too so make sure the GIAC guy knows that

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    225 hp engine runs lower compression too so make sure the GIAC guy knows that
    Very true, i did read that somewhere along the line. Ill make sure to mention it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12