Users Country Flag

Waiting on a performance reveiw
    Thanks for the pictorial

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad TT 08 View Post
    Waiting on a performance reveiw
    Thanks for the pictorial
    cheers mate, we'll find out how it goes next month...

final wiring installed and heat shrink wrapped...

all wrapped and tidy at the pump too, trying to keep it as oem as possible...

all hooked up in the boot with the wiring diagram for anyone planning to do the same install. the destructions say not to keep it covered due to heat transfer put pretty difficult to find anywhere decent to put it. i'm planning t pull the boot carpet out on track days to let some air circulate around the heat sinks, i'm sure that will be sufficient...

i took it for a steady run to the coast and back, no issues so i think i've installed it correctly. the real test is lakeside next month, looking forward to getting on the track and catching up with some of the regulars...

so i took it for a spirited drive to ensure it was ready for happy laps and the car was misfiring badly, i couldn't believe it and thought it must be something to do with the new controller. i disconnected the new unit and took it for another spin and the car was still misfiring...

i started with the basic and cheapest replacement part i could think of; spark plugs. before removing them my ocd took over and a labelled the coil packs. i know they are not the cylinder firing numbers but i'd never get that right, so just i just went from left to right. i'm a poet and i don't know it...

looks like i got lucky with my second guess...

i switched them for ngk's recommend for stage 2+...

and before i put it all back together i thought i'd take this photo, things are getting out of hand on the "everything must be symmetrical" front...

while i was trying to diagnose the issue i also bought a spare oem standard pump controller as i was reliably informed by the internet that if you are running the upgraded pump on the stock controller there is a chance the stock controller will be damaged. the truth is out there...

either way i now have a spare that i will take with me to the track and swap out if the car starts to play up like a mo fo...

every cloud has a silver lining as i took the m3 to happy laps instead. lets just say i had a smile on my face the whole time, the car goes where you point it instead of straight on in the corners...
    Last edited by guile; 24-09-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typos fixed...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    so i took it for a run after i put it back together and the car was misfiring badly, i couldn't believe it and thought it must be something to do with the new controller. i disconnected the new unit and took it for another spin and the car was still misfiring...

i started with the basic and cheapest replacement part i could think of; spark plugs. before removing them my ocd took over and a labelled the coil packs (i know they are not the cylinder firing numbers but i'd never get that right, so just i just went from left to right. i'm a poet and i don't know it)...

looks like i got lucky with my second guess...

i switched them for ngk's recommend for stage 2+...

and before i put it all back together i thought i'd take this photo, things are getting out of hand on the "everything must be symmetrical front"...

while i was trying to diagnose the issue i also bought a spare oem standard pump controller as i was reliably informed by the internet that if you are running the upgraded pump on the stock controller there is a chance the stock controller will be damaged. the truth is out there...

either way i now have a spare that i will take with me to the track and swap out if the car starts to play up like a mo fo...
    Did replacing the plugs defeat the misfire??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yes mate, all snorted...

see you at the next happy laps in the s3, its been a while...
    Last edited by guile; 24-09-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Good work there mate. Always start with the easiest things. Those plugs looked pretty nasty. would probably have cleaned up and lived again but for a small cost. Replacement and doing it once is a good choice.

Nice install on the PM3 as well. Looks pretty factory!

I can't see the controller overheating TBH. but it wont hurt to let it have plenty of air.

Any windows laptop with a USB will run VCDS. Ross-tech list minimum spec on their site.

cheers mate, hope you're doing well down in Melbourne. i'm actually down there Sat / Sun 28th Oct; staying in the CBD...

let me know if you're anywhere near at that time and would be good to catch up for a pint. i still owe you some for the coopers at Wakefield...

take it easy captain...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    cheers mate, hope you're doing well down in Melbourne. i'm actually down there Sat / Sun 28th Oct; staying in the CBD...

let me know if you're anywhere near at that time and would be good to catch up for a pint. i still owe you some for the coopers at Wakefield...

take it easy captain...
    The workshop is in Moorabbin but I am sure we can arrange a meet up.

ok mate, i'll check out where that is...

i'll have stinky in tow and because of all my car stuff lately i promised it will be shopping, eating and drinking so a trek around the countryside might not go down too well...

be good if you can make it in to town...
    Last edited by guile; 24-09-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typos fixed...

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast