Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi A3 Turbo - Built in Australia, Tuned in Great Britain

geez, what's going on from the dyno runs? Never seen anything like that before.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    At the time it had this oscillating AFR issue. Which has been difficult to nail down. Not the software as it's pretty close to Lito's Golf. There was an inline pump which under WOT seemed unable to supply enough pressure. This was confirmed with a fuel pressure gauge. Although the pressure was rising under boost, it wasn't maintaining 4 BAR above manifold pressure. So the ECU was trying to compensate for this and couldn't.

That pump was removed and then it was run with a new intank pump, which still seemed to under perform under WOT but the pressure was following boost properly. A couple of weeks back the fuel filter was replaced again, the one coming out had been in for only a few hundred ks. Anyway, it seemed much better on the road but still need to log it to see if the drivers seat impression is true.

Fingers crossed next time Richard is back home we can finally nail it.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    as said above the dyno run highlighted a few issues which we attempted to narrow down. while the car was on the rollers it was suggested that the plugs might be on their way out and as i didn't know when they were last changed i agreed it would be a good idea. the guys at leon's ordered some on the spot and 20 minutes later (after the reception girl picked them up) they were changed out ready for another run. although marginally improved it was along way off from fixed.

as a consolation prize gav called in on the way home to fix my window motor

spot the problem...

new one installed and working well...

thanks mate!

i had no idea when the fuel filter was last changed so it was a good idea to switch that out

new one hooked up and ready to go...

again this appeared to help but the performance was very erratic. CC suggested that it looked to be a fuelling problem, as the age of the in tank fuel pump was not known it was decided to change that for a performance upgrade (Genesis Mk4 High-Flow Intank Pump)...

usually sideways rally team pump good for 400bhp...

also a minor update; i swapped the arial as it was a she ite reception...

out with the old...

much better radio signal now this is fitted and looks betters too...

Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: updated photos

i had been trying to make my mind up if i liked the rear spoiler or not, only one way to find out

before...

during...

after...

and finally...

in the mean time i went on a trip to the states and bought myself a souvenir

i decided to stick with the wolfsburg that was already on the car as a rear wiper delete when i bought it, hence the gear knob and steering wheel centre

swapped the wolfsburg centre in to the momo housing for a better fit...

thought i'd try the mirror covers, if its good enough for the s3's its good enough for this car...

i think they look pretty neat...

the rear hatch handle was playing up so this was ordered from the uk

installed and fully functional...

to top it all off i bought myself a bra

Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: updated photos

Loving this; Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by khonfahm View Post
    Loving this; Keep it up!
    thanks mate, a few updates for you;

after messing with cosmetic things for a while it was time to get the car on it's final tune. gav at cc suggested that the inline pump (fitted as part of the original tuning mods) might be starving the intank pump. it was worth a shot so the inline pump was removed and a few trial runs were undertaken...

i also fitted a temporary fuel pressure gauge to see what was going on, at the same time i swapped out my boost gauge as the stack boost gauge was out of calibration...

temporary fuel pressure gauge in a redbull can...

all the gear required to confirm the current vehicle setup (i think), looks like there is bit more to a custom map than a simple ecu flash...

i also hooked up a volt gauge to my pump to make sure it was getting full power at full boost...

spotted this while doing trial runs, reminded me i need to sort out the headliner too, i'll add it to the list...

although removing the inline pump didn't appear to improve performance it didn't make it worse so it was decided to leave it out as its one less thing to remove from the equation. onwards and upwards...
    Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: updated photos

i went on a shopping spree for new wheels, they look good from the side...

a bit too much pokey pokey...

i fianlly worked out they poke so much because the wheel is hitting the coilover and pushing the top part out...

thought i'd check the back while i was at it...

i reckon i could make the back ones work, just have to work out the front offsets...

Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: updated photos

i got curious about the afr reading so i fitted a three gauge pod...

a bit disappointed that the oil pressure gauge has a different bezel style but i'm working on this. another thing i need to work on is the set up of my bluetooth connection to my iPhone, so far i can only get the afr remotely...

i also replaced the parrot head unit with an alpine one...

Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: updated photos

it was an expensive affair to buy two wheels and tyres to start working out what wheel specs might work; only way to be certain before blowing 2k on new shoes though...

18's will reduce that arch gap...

and room for a bit more girth...

i took a few shots from different angles to try and help nail the offsets...

couldn't decide if i like the 3 spokes or not...

room for more meat on the rear too...

Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 11:29 AM.

to keep myself busy i've been tailing around with tidying up the interior...

pulled the drivers seat out to get the bolster repaired...

thought i'd pull out the passenger seat too while i was at it to vacuum the carpet. thats how everyone cleans their interior right?

Last edited by guile; 05-01-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: updated photos

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast