Thread: Crafter knock in the front end

Users Country Flag

Crafter knock in the front end

I have a bit of a dull rattle sort of noise coming from the R/H side, front of the veichle. Feels like its either in the suspension, steering or wheel bearing. Can sometimes feel it through the floor/pedals with your feet. Makes it at various speeds, mainly when the front is under light load, ie not cornering etc and mainly on slightly rough bitumen roads, like typical outback country roads.
    Ive gone over all the bolts/nuts i can find under the veichle, all tight. Jacked it up each side at the front, only thing i could find was a slight bit of play in the front R/H wheel bearing when grabbing the wheel at the top and bottom and rocking it. L/H didnt move at all. Could this be it? Are the bearings serviceable? I pulled the front wheel off and the hub all looked pretty sealed up and maybe not serviceable.
    Its a 2010 Crafter with 50k on the clock.

Thanks,

Users Country Flag
    There was a campaign doing the rounds a couple of years back regarding brake calipers with excessive freeplay in the slide pins.

From memory, there was a revised set of slide pins and bolts. An easy thing to check. While you're under there, check for play in the swaybar end links and 'D' bushes.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well after 5 visits to VW to try and find it, turns out it has a stuffed steering rack. New one going in under warranty.... not good after only 50,000k's... since read some reviews on the net of people putting 2,3+ racks in there van in the time they owned it

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Well after 5 visits to VW to try and find it, turns out it has a stuffed steering rack. New one going in under warranty.... not good after only 50,000k's... since read some reviews on the net of people putting 2,3+ racks in there van in the time they owned it
    I wonder if its a Mercedes rack or VW one?

Bad to hear this experience spiderpig good luck with new one
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    I lost an inner tie rod end on the steering after just 25,000 in the T4 due to rough contry roads so don't feel too bad.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    I lost an inner tie rod end on the steering after just 25,000 in the T4 due to rough contry roads so don't feel too bad.
    It can't be worst than Adelaide roads.
    I'm surprised that the suspension in my T5 is still in one piece, except 2 rear shockers that leaked out.

Just a bit frustrating, looking back from other reports on the net and its been a known problem for years.... would have thought VW might have done something to fix the problem by now and maybe updated the Rack? Have seen reports of people putting 2,3 racks in their vans in the time they have owned them...

New steering rack fixed the grinding in the steering but it still had a rattle. New front R/H shock fixed the rattle. Spoke to another crafter owner while i was in there last time, his was getting a new power steering pump, has done about 100k, his would loose power steering and then come back again when turning