Thread: Suppose it had to happen

Users Country Flag

Suppose it had to happen

Well I guess it was a matter of time (according to the naysayers) before my 118TSI Jetta went back to the dealer on a flatbed.

Error codes report low fuel pressure, driving experience was it was running out of fuel (full tank), and when roadside assist cleared the codes they returned immediately.

The dealer thinks either blocked fuel filter or malfunctioning high pressure pump but as it happened once before and they have come across a pump failure before they are leaning towards the pump. Of course, when the dealer started it, it was fine.

I must admit the dealer (Duttons Mt Barker) and the roadside assist technicians and tow truck driver have all been outstanding. And, given the problem has been reported for the 118TSI but doesn't seem endemic I'm prepared to shrug my shoulders and say 'one of those things'.

Users Country Flag
    Could also be a faulty/failing HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) which is located on the engine, but im sure they will test the whole system and find out where the issue lies. Fingers crossed its a quick fix and you have it back soon.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Could also be a faulty/failing HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) which is located on the engine, but im sure they will test the whole system and find out where the issue lies. Fingers crossed its a quick fix and you have it back soon.
    Yep, one of the things I suspected and what Duttons are investigating. Seems there has been a change in part number since 2015, so maybe it is a known issue or there was a bad batch of pumps.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Well, here's a surprise. It's been diagnosed as a faulty low pressure fuel pump, the one that sits in the fuel tank. I guess if it is faulty there would not be enough fuel delivered to the high pressure pump for it to work properly.

Anyway, waiting for parts to arrive.