Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second hand advice, 118TSI vs slightly older 147TSI

Users Country Flag

Second hand advice, 118TSI vs slightly older 147TSI

Hi,

I've been looking at getting a Jetta for a little while and have done a fair bit of reading around some of the problems regarding the DSG transmission they use. I understand there were some major issues with the older models which should have been sorted, but I wanted to hear the opinions and experience you guys have had with them.

One of the major issues seems to be that on the DQ200 in the 118TSI models, the dry clutches can wear out extremely quickly. Some people say that this might be due to the drivers treating it like a regular torque converter auto and creeping in traffic, etc. Can any 118TSI DSG owners report how long their clutches have lasted?

I was deeply considering purchasing a 118 until I'd read about some of these issues, since I do particularly enjoy how the car drives, handles and looks. The 118 seem to be the most common model around in Aus, but I know that there are some higher spec models such as the 147TSI which come with the (presumably) DQ250 6 speed wet clutch and was wondering: should I focus my efforts on one of these instead?

Doing a bit of searching I've found a couple of examples I could go for, both appearing in relatively good condition:
    1) 2014 1.4l 118TSI Highline DSG, 32k km, $17,000 , or
    2) 2012 2.0l 147TSI Highline DSG, 55k km, $17,000

(Assuming both have had at least major services done at VW)

Considering the DSG and other issues which I mightn't be aware of, which would you go for? Or would I be better off just avoiding the Jetta if I was after an auto sedan?

Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    When given a choice between the 1.4L Twincharged 118TSI and something else, choose the something else. While they are a beautiful engine while they work the failure rate is just too high to make buying one a good choice. The later models have all the better parts inside them but for me it's just too much of a gamble (and this is coming from someone who owns one that hasn't missed a beat!).

Also. More power!

Depending on budget contraints there are some 155TSI's in the low to mid $20's floating around that you might just be able to negotiate down a little more

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    the 147 hands down, brilliant car.
    Current - 2015 Tiguan 155 R-Line.
    Previous - Jetta MkV 147 Turbo, Viezu Raceday mapped, Carbonio CAI, Quad Exhaust System, R8 Coil pack, Whiteline Swaybar, GTi Steering wheel with paddles, Alloy pedals, RNS510 & Leather.

+1 for the 2.0 engine. Either diesel or petrol it doesn't matter as these also came with the better/more reliable 6 speed DSG.

The 118TSI with 7 speed DSG is a ticking time bomb - steer well clear.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Honda Accord Euro ???

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    Honda Accord Euro ???
    Hmm not the same power delivery, will use more fuel, gearbox is gonna be sluggish, unless you find a manual.
    Will be more reliable.
    On the same line, try a Camry, I hear the AC is great.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Get the 147 Highline for sure. Better engine, better gearbox.
    Nathan

Mine - 2013 MY13 VW Jetta 147TSI | Now with 3Bar ECU and DSG Tunes
    Hers - 2016 MY17 Skoda Fabia Wagon Premium Sports

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the advice guys, that particular 147 has gone but I'll certainly keep an eye out for one.

Has anybody been through any clutch packs, and if so at how many kilometres?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Depending on budget contraints there are some 155TSI's in the low to mid $20's floating around that you might just be able to negotiate down a little more
    I've been considering a 155TSI too, but I'd certainly have to stretch my budget a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    On the same line, try a Camry, I hear the AC is great.
    AC as in air conditioning? Haha

Users Country Flag
    Keep your eye out for a Skoda Octavia as well. Cheaper, better equiped. Hatchback. Big boot.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Keep your eye out for a Skoda Octavia as well. Cheaper, better equiped. Hatchback. Big boot.
    Was on my hitlist when I bought my Jetta, they went through a phase of being cheap as chips, but now the Mk2 has gone up due to scarcity (plenty of people picking them up now) so the prices are stupidly high for cars that are now 5-6 years old.

zifta - if you were keen on a 147TSI, I could be tempted to sell my car.... only 27k on the clock and had the 4 year DSG service done in April......
    Nathan

Mine - 2013 MY13 VW Jetta 147TSI | Now with 3Bar ECU and DSG Tunes
    Hers - 2016 MY17 Skoda Fabia Wagon Premium Sports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast