Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY15 Jetta TSI 118 Highline

Users Country Flag

MY15 Jetta TSI 118 Highline

My father-in-law was looking at moving on from his 2005 Mazda6 with 175Ks and get something a little bit smaller. They live on the mid-north coast and travel to Sydney often so they needed a car with a big boot. I thought a Jetta might fit the bill and noticed that our local dealer had one that was on the money. It was a MY15 Jetta TSI 118 Highline in Blue Silk. It had been the dealer “courtesy car” for 15 months – had 12,000kms on the clock and was loaded up with accessories – window tint, mud flaps, roof racks and even a bicycle carrier!

I did my research and figured that the 118 TS engine and DQ200 DSG were well and truly sorted by now. The Highline had all the goodies including leather and heated seats and it still had the RNS510 with standard Voice Control. My in-laws aren’t App-Connect people so not having the Discover MIB2 was no loss. I also noticed that the Highline wasn’t that popular – buyers either went for the cheaper 118TSI Comfortline which had enough standard features or if they wanted a sporty ride opted for the 155TSI Highline Sports. It probably made “our car” harder to shift.

The price was about $10K under list and they gave my father-in-law a fair trade-in price. I managed to get them to throw in a bootmat and Euro plate covers – the sales consultant was great to deal with. Unfortunately when they went to sign the contract a couple of days later (without me or "our" sales consultant there) the dealer got $1K back on paint protection Arrgh!

They picked it up about a month ago and have been really impressed with the fuel economy and all the VW convenience features, which my father-in-law is still discovering! They have had a towbar fitted by their local VW dealer (a $2K exercise). The only fly in the ointment is that the Service Book hadn’t been stamped by the original dealer. I dropped it in to be stamped and then they lost the book! They’ve order a new service book but it has to come from Germany and will take a few weeks.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Users Country Flag
    We've had our Highline for 18 months now, covering a smidge under 30,000 Ks.

We're very happy with it. It's comfortable, economical, and has enough torque for what it is. I can get 2 sets of golf clubs and buggies, along with all our other golf gear, in the boot.

It feels a lot more grown up than a Golf, so it ticks all the boxes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]I did my research and figured that the 118 TS engine and DQ200 DSG were well and truly sorted by now.
    You're delusional
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
    We've had our Highline for 18 months now, covering a smidge under 30,000 Ks.

We're very happy with it. It's comfortable, economical, and has enough torque for what it is. I can get 2 sets of golf clubs and buggies, along with all our other golf gear, in the boot.

It feels a lot more grown up than a Golf, so it ticks all the boxes.
    My father-in-law is a golfer, so that bodes well. He has had shoulder issues, but I'm sure when he gets back on the golf course that boot space will come in handy.
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You're delusional
    Really?

I've read about the trials and tribulations in the 1.4 Twin Charge engines in MkVI Golfs and contemporary Jettas. But since 2012 when they changed the piston design (CTHE engine) I believe they have been mostly reliable unless its the higher output Polo GTI engine, which I believe is a different kettle of fish...

The last DQ200 (7spd DSG) recall was back in 2013. I haven't heard of later Golfs, Jettas or Polos having any inherent problems with the DSGs.

We are talking about an MY15 Jetta that will be driven sedately by a couple of senior citizens. They look after cars and hopefully the Jetta will look after them...

Users Country Flag
    Just point out to them not to creep it in traffic or it will stuff the clutches eventually.

They are not an auto in the true sense of the word. They are a twin clutch manual and should be driven as such. Stop nad hold using brakes No creeping with foot lightly on the brakes.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Just point out to them not to creep it in traffic or it will stuff the clutches eventually.

They are not an auto in the true sense of the word. They are a twin clutch manual and should be driven as such. Stop nad hold using brakes No creeping with foot lightly on the brakes.
    Mate, I've got to call you out on this one...

If you drive a DSG as an auto you are right foot braking, so you have to take your foot off the brake to accelerate.

The hill start assist technologies hold the car using the brakes until a second or so after the brake has been released, allowing you time to get your foot off the brake and depress the accelerator.

It's therefore incredibly unlikely someone will be rolling through the traffic with their foot on the brake...

Users Country Flag

If you drive a DSG as an auto you are right foot braking, so you have to take your foot off the brake to accelerate.

The hill start assist technologies hold the car using the brakes until a second or so after the brake has been released, allowing you time to get your foot off the brake and depress the accelerator.

It's therefore incredibly unlikely someone will be rolling through the traffic with their foot on the brake...
    Well as I dont use the hill hold on mine it will creep if i lighten off on the brake. The Polo doesnt have it anyway.

Maybe the later models have it standard.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

When you partially release your foot off the brake there is a small space where the car is creeping but you're holding the brake pedal - like a conventional auto.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticality View Post
    When you partially release your foot off the brake there is a small space where the car is creeping but you're holding the brake pedal - like a conventional auto.
    Yes, and this is by all accounts what fries the clutches on the DQ200 dry clutch transmission as the friction generates significant heat. No different to riding the clutch on a manual.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast