Thread: jetta wont start

Users Country Flag

jetta wont start

Hi I am hoping someone can help me, for sometime now about the last 6 months I have an intermittent starting issue with my Jetta. it just cranks over but wont fire. then I will leave it for a few hours and come back and it starts fine. it will then run fine for 4 or 5 weeks and will then do it again. I have replaced the PCV valve as it was running a bit rough, this did not fix it. I then replaced the crank case sensor and was fine for 5 or 6 weeks then did it again. the only error showing was p0441 evap emission system incorrect. not sure if this could be the cause. I thought maybe the fuel relay or even the pump but think these would have failed completely by now or even failed while driving. was hoping someone else may have had a similar problem it is a 2007 jetta 2.0 petrol turbo. I would greatly appreciate any help/advise you can give.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pramsey1965 View Post
    Hi I am hoping someone can help me, for sometime now about the last 6 months I have an intermittent starting issue with my Jetta. it just cranks over but wont fire. then I will leave it for a few hours and come back and it starts fine. it will then run fine for 4 or 5 weeks and will then do it again. I have replaced the PCV valve as it was running a bit rough, this did not fix it. I then replaced the crank case sensor and was fine for 5 or 6 weeks then did it again. the only error showing was p0441 evap emission system incorrect. not sure if this could be the cause. I thought maybe the fuel relay or even the pump but think these would have failed completely by now or even failed while driving. was hoping someone else may have had a similar problem it is a 2007 jetta 2.0 petrol turbo. I would greatly appreciate any help/advise you can give.
    Have same issue with 2008 jetta TDI , seemed to be more frequent after long drives , turn off engine leave for 30 minutes
    then would turn over and not fire , even after replacing the battery , still does it , can go 6 months and no issues
    then a few days in a row , actually did it yesterday for the first time in ages, if it does not fire , I hold foot down on accelerator
    and it always fires up then.
    Been doing this for well over 5 years now.
    Last edited by neil; 06-05-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Have same issue with 2008 jetta TDI , seemed to be more frequent after long drives , turn off engine leave for 30 minutes
    then would turn over and not fire , even after replacing the battery , still does it , can go 6 months and no issues
    then a few days in a row , actually did it yesterday for the first time in ages, if it does not fire , I hold foot down on accelerator
    and it always fires up then.
    Been doing this for well over 5 years now.

Thanks will try again next time it does it.

Users Country Flag
    That code suggests EVAP issues. It is possible the valve/solenoids which control the return gas from the fuel tank into the charcoal canister is playing up.
    Does this often happen soon after filling the tank ?

MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    That code suggests EVAP issues. It is possible the valve/solenoids which control the return gas from the fuel tank into the charcoal canister is playing up.
    Does this often happen soon after filling the tank ?

Will take note of the filling up question , The tank was full when it did it a few days ago , as for prior not sure , something to keep
    in mind for next time.

no can do it any time, when tank is full or near empty.

will swap the purge valve and see how it goes. not sure it would stop it starting but cant hurt to do it.

ok it has done it again and I have some error codes.
    still have initial 01089 evap code emmisson control sys incorrect flow p0441 upper limit reached
    also have
    12555 low pressure fuel regulation fuel pressure outside specification p310b lower limit reached- intermittent
    00834 signal for activation of heated rear window open circuit/short with ground intermittent
    01049 supply voltage term 50 electrical problem in circuit intermittent
    02401 terminal 75x short with power intermittent
    I was initially thinking it could be the fuel pump in the tank or the fuel pump relay not supplying enough power, but as I have the other electrical codes which are also intermittent could it be the main relay playing up.
    thanks in advance for any help.

ok i have some more info that might help people help me. i tested the fuel pump module that sits on top of the rear fuel pump under the back seat of my Jetta. it is showing 12 volts going to the module but only 5 volt coming out to the fuel pump. i would think that 5 volts would be too low, but am not 100% sure as i cant find any ware what voltage should be going to the fuel pump. this is a jetta fsi not tdi as i stated in original comments.
    Last edited by pramsey1965; 15-05-2017 at 11:36 AM.