Thread: Cabin Air Filter stinks again

Users Country Flag

Cabin Air Filter stinks again

Hi All

Last summer my AC stank so I replaced the air cabin filter and fixed it. Well it's not even a year and it stinks again. After running the AC, I normally run the fan without AC for about 5 mins before turning the car off just to dry it out. There may have been times I've forgotten to do this but it's minimal.

Is this normal to stink again so soon? Do you guys have this problem? I know some people don't even bother running the fan after AC and they've never had a problem.

I'm just worried there could some other issue like a water leaking into the filter?

thanks

Users Country Flag
    Hi Mate,

There are a few options when it comes to the Cabin Filter in the Jetta; Pollen Filter (Active Carbon / Charcoal) - 1K2819653B (Genuine) / Mann+Hummel CUK2939/1 / Hengst E998LC-R / Mahle LAK181/1 all are relatively cheap and probably easier just getting the Genuine item from VW (which is Valeo by the way).

I change mine every 12mths and also run a cleaner such as Auto Glym A/C cleaner deoderiser or Liqui Moly Klima Kleen.

Not sure what you do by turning off A/C and running the fan for 5mins.
    I have never done that, in any car I have driven...

I do not have smells in mine.

Do you park under trees (leaves blocking your intake), could there be some blockages in your system some where?
    Do you carry animals in your car (non-human type!)?

Might pay to get it investigated further...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Hi Mate,
    Not sure what you do by turning off A/C and running the fan for 5mins.
    I have never done that, in any car I have driven...
    I do not have smells in mine.

Do you park under trees (leaves blocking your intake), could there be some blockages in your system some where?
    Do you carry animals in your car (non-human type!)?

Might pay to get it investigated further...

I've read there could be condensation/moisture when running the AC so by letting the fans run without AC at the end of the trip, it helps to dry it out. But since you and most others don't do this and it's still fine, then i'm wondering what else it could be.

But in any case, you're right and i'll be replacing the filter yearly. It's cheap and simple enough to do.

thanks

Users Country Flag
    Get the activated Charcoal one, plenty of brands do them. I just replace mine WHEN it smells if I am not due to service it.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrSim View Post
    I've read there could be condensation/moisture when running the AC so by letting the fans run without AC at the end of the trip, it helps to dry it out. But since you and most others don't do this and it's still fine, then i'm wondering what else it could be.

But in any case, you're right and i'll be replacing the filter yearly. It's cheap and simple enough to do.

thanks
    You're actually MORE likely to have moisture build up without the A/C on. Part of it's job is to dehumidify......so you're likely getting drier air than ambient with it switched on.

Users Country Flag

I've always found the drain on aircon systems is prone to blocking. They usually have some form of cap with a slit in it that allows water to seep out but stops (!) the drain tube from blocking. If you don't get a pool of water under the car, particularly on humid days, I'd be trying to get underneath to inspect the drain.

If it is badly blocked the water can build up and drip in the cabin, although it hasn't happened in my Jetta so I do not know where you will see it.