Support VWWC

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OBDEleven - The new kid on the block!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_ View Post
    This is the first I've seen mentioned about the necessity of a network connection. Is this required at all times for the operation of OBDeleven? Or is it only to update the database every once in a while? I do most of my VCDS work in an underground parking garage, where there is neither cellular data nor Wi-Fi.
    dmc_: Hello again! I'm fairly sure that a good WIFI connection will be necessary for the OBD11 device. It's difficult to say when the software is accessing the remote data base back at OBD11 HQ, but it's definitely sending data back-and-forth. The size of the cache memory in the laptop/phone is doubtless a critical factor in the WIFI comms, but there does appear to be lots of internet traffic involved

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_ View Post
    What about other these other things?

– Does OBDeleven have something similar to Advanced Measuring Values? Can I, for example, view the X-/Y-axis mirror position on controller 52 the way I can on VCDS?

– I understand OBDeleven keeps a log of running adaptation and coding changes, similar to the /debug/codinglog.txt on VCDS. Is there a way to export this to a text file, CSV, or otherwise for backup purposes? I know it is not capable of producing full adaptation maps, but I think being able to export a record of your original settings would be a good safeguard.

Thanks for the insight!

OK, let's deal with these questions with pictures (much better than words!)
    Here's a copy of a screen shot from my 1st post showing the main screen for both your questions

For the Codinglog.txt file equivalent question, you will need to use OBD11's history facility - when I press the RED box, I get the following screen

Notice the envelope in the top RH corner which I have circled- If I press this, I get:

I can then select the email app of my choice and when I do this, the history file gets dumped into an email message which I can send to myself as below

So OBD11 does have a kind-of equivalent to VCDS's Codinglog.txt file. I don't as yet know if the OBD11 history file suffers from the same error as the Codinglog.txt file when the change command is rejected - something to investigate at a later time, I guess!

OK, now for your Advanced measurement question -OBD11's equivalent is called "LIVE DATA" If I press the YELLOW box in my first screen above, I get the number of screen shots like the one below. There appear to be lots of these screens, so I'm fairly confident that all the UDS measurement parameters are accessible with OBD11. As an example, I've posted one of these screens below

For the sake of an example, I selected the Fuel Rail Pressure parameter and when I press the Yellow Box I get the picture below:

If the Autorefresh button (on the RHS) is switched-on, the updating rate is fairly impressive, but I can find no way of graphing the LIVE DATA as is possible with VCDS. I guess this might be a limitation of OBD11 (or possibly a future enhancement)

Anyway, hope these screens are useful in answering your questions
    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 31-03-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Nice. As always, thanks for the thorough answers.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I'm fairly sure that a good WIFI connection will be necessary for the OBD11 device.

I think that's really unfortunate.

In my particular case, I need to be able to use the software in my underground parking garage. But I also do a lot of road-tripping in areas without cellular data service as well. Being an iOS user, I was hoping to buy a cheap Android device to leave in the glovebox for this purpose, but I think zero functionality in the absence of Wi-Fi or a data plan is a major disadvantage.

If the Autorefresh button (on the RHS) is switched-on, the updating rate is fairly impressive, but I can find no way of graphing the LIVE DATA as is possible with VCDS. I guess this might be a limitation of OBD11 (or possibly a future enhancement)
    I saw the Live Data function and wondered if it allowed for logging. I saw a post by the developer on his product support forums alluding to the fact that data logging is in the works.

Users Country Flag
    Does it retract the rear electric park brake piston? I will need to do the rear pad soon.

Users Country Flag

Looks like I'll need to get myself one of those, very cool

Users Country Flag
    Mine should be here soon, but need to purchase a cheap android device, what's everyone using or recommend? And anyone got any for sale??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Mine should be here soon, but need to purchase a cheap android device, what's everyone using or recommend? And anyone got any for sale??

I bought a Lenovo tab3 7inch tablet. About $97 from Officeworks. Can even put in an Sd card and load up movies etc if you want. Plus Good Guys have the covers for them too which helps protect them. Good quality for very few $$ both the tablet and the cover.

For those of us otherwise captive to Apple products, it's cheap Android tech for this purpose...

Users Country Flag
    Sounds perfect. All I know is that it needs to be operating system 4.1 or newer.

2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Current Tab3's from Officeworks are Android 5.0.1, so all good.

Users Country Flag

What happens with the expensive dongle when they go out of business or their website is down?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast