Support VWWC

Thread: Can you choose non-standard options for a new Skoda?

Users Country Flag

Can you choose non-standard options for a new Skoda?

Wondering if anyone has managed to order a new Skoda with your own custom choices, like paint and interior options. I don't mean picking from the limited official options for your model (using the car configurator). I'm still looking for a new Fabia, preferably a hatch, but not happy with the choices available. I'd like silver paint (which you did get with the previous Fabia Mk 2, not now), centrer armrest (which you did get with the Fabia Mk 2, not now), and rear seats that tip forward (which you did get - you can see where I'm going with this).
    I find it amazing that only a few upmarket models (Superb, Octavia) offer these as standard choices, but the base models like Fabia, with the move to Mk 3, have lost these choices.
    Has anyone been able to wrangle options outside the standard offerings? How did you do it?

Users Country Flag
    hi,
    I had no luck when I ordered. I really wanted the Rallye green in a wagon. ended up getting race blue. The best you can do is order the armrest from skodadop or superskoda, and some other accessories. or you buy the auto and get the armrest.
    good luck.

Users Country Flag
    Nope - snowballs chance in hell.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    It is such a shame that the current Fabia is not pushed harder by Skoda/Volkswagen Australia. From a performance point of view it is around 100kg lighter then the previous model however the top power figure is down a MASSIVE 51kw over the older model. Even if you got the average 1.4L twincharger from the Jetta or Tiguan with 118kw it would be a MASSIVE 37kw improvement.

P.S. Some dealers will option aftermarket leather seats, wheels or headunits to get a sale. Just depends on how non standard you are thinking.

P.P.S.... After 2018 we will be able to import new cars from overseas...This should make factory options more available since they are doing them for other markets already....ie. Eibach Factory lowered springs in Europe.
    Last edited by mmmRacer; 10-05-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    You know, I had a closer look at new car photos. It looks like the 81TSI DSG models of the Fabia hatch come standard with a centre armrest, but the 66TSI manuals don't. Maybe only the DSG models also come with rear seats that tip forward too. Will have to investigate... They still don't come in silver though.

You are right about snowballs chance for getting options. I dropped in to a Skoda dealer somewhere south of Wollongong and said I lived in Sydney. "What would it take for you to come back down here and buy from us?" I thought about this on the way back home and penned an email:
    "Fabia wagon, manual, with a front armrest and folding seats [and a couple of other things about price], like the 81DSG variant - that would differentiate you from any other dealer and make me travel down again."
    The response was "We can't do anything other than the standard offering, and neither will any other dealer."
    Bummer.
    Still thinking about Fabia, and have just scoured the Skoda NZ website. They get a heap more options for the hatch and wagon. Like, 17 colour combinations versus 8 in Oz (including Cappuccino beige, silver and dark brown - I never knew). And 7 wheel style versus our 5. And 9 interior trim options whereas we are stuck with just 3. AND a front armest.
    Skoda Australia, please explain why we're starved for choice!
    Last edited by copeboox; 22-05-2016 at 02:27 PM.

So I wrote to Skoda Australia about this (don't get angry, get active):

"Why is Skoda Australia cutting our choices for the Fabia?
    I would really like to buy a new Fabia hatch 66 TSI, but the lack of options for colours, trim and interior features (like a front armrest as standard) are missing on the current model Fabia 66 TSI hatch and wagon. The previous Mk 2 Fabia was great - it came in silver and other colours we no longer are offerted, and it came with an armrest.I am disappointed that Skoda New Zealand gets all the great options like many more colour combinations and trim and wheels, but we don't.

Read my post in the VW Watercooled forum:
    Can you choose non-standard options for a new Skoda?

Please give me an explanation, and tell me that you will change your policy to allow many more options - so that you can sell more Skodas, obviously! More options, more ways to personalise your car, and more potential buyers."

And they wrote back:

"Thank you for your recent email.

Please be advised that vehicles that are imported and the options available from Volkswagen Factory is to the specifications that fit the Australian Market.

We do strive to offer our customer competitive and Australian market orientated models and options that represent compelling value. We closely monitor customer feedback such as yours and will integrate it into our future product decisions.

Thank you again for contacting Skoda Australia."

And another:
    "Thank you for your email and apologise for the delay in our response.

We can confirm that all countries that hold ŠKODA vehicles will not have the same range of ŠKODA variants in there market.

We have passed on feedback to the relevant department for future planning.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us directly..."

*Sigh*
    Can only hope something happens. Second-rate service ain't good.

OK what they are not telling you, is that in NZ they don't have ADRs, so they can import whatever the hell they like. And Skoda there is actually a distributor so again they just buy them and resell them. In a way SUbaru do the same thing here on a smaller scale. It's a tiny market for cars in NZ so it's likely not a big deal to do that. Same reason why Octavia RS don't come with lane assist here but did from get go in the UK. And suddenly since a month back they now do.

Users Country Flag

skoda is in a bit of a jam with the Fabia - they typically order stock in, tryingto guess what will sell and go from there. the market is so small that the options are limited for financial reasons. as we are so far away, it is even harder to ask for custom orders as it is highly unlikely that someone will wait 4 months for a custom-order car from factory for only 23K. i was lucky that the exact car i wanted was already on a boat over. it was allocated to some regional manager but for a paying customer that very quickly changed.

they have missed an opportunity with marketing and stock levels. why wait 3months for a fabia whena polo is available straight away.