Thread: Traffic Jam assist - how does it work?

Traffic Jam assist - how does it work?

As per the title how does the traffic jam assist work? I have read the manual many times and understand how it is meant to work however I am starting to wonder if it works correctly on my car or even at all? I believe that I 'may' have had it work correctly once in my car but for the life of me cannot replicate!

The YouTube video by Skoda here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=62OkN7cRz4E shows the following when ACC and lane assist is engaged:

• The car will stop when the vehicle ahead stops (works for me)
    • If start/stop engaged the motor will also turn off (works for me)
    • When the vehicle ahead moves forward the Superb will restart and follow suit (has worked for me once! My car will restart but it does not start to move). Yes I know there is a slight delay due to the ACC and safety margin but mine will not take off on its own unless I touch the accelerator. The video and manual do not require any diver input.
    • The vehicle is supposed to follow the car ahead by using the camera lane assist so really no following the car ahead instead using the lane assist feature/camera.
    • Yes I have my hands on the wheel at all times.

So putting a shout out to those that have gotten it to work correctly and reliably. So how do you do it/find it?

Users Country Flag
    Yes boy123, it works.

I've tried it several times & all worked as it should. One item you might look at is the range setting for your front radar unit. It is set long from the factory & this initially threw me with the ACC on express ways. The car was slowing nearly half a kilometre behind other vehicles. I've reset mine to 'very close' which sees the car move earlier when following in traffic.

I have my reservations about Traffic Jam Assist in the sense it will likely encourage too many to be even more distracted from driving. What it won't do is stop you appropriately at a set of traffic lights, when the car in front runs the red or a Stop sign. Lane assist can take you across traffic lanes on our badly marked roads. Try going straight through a T intersection with a light grip & you'll find the car tries to follow any line going around the left corner. It really is an application best used in bumper to bumper laned traffic. The side sensing then takes the detection of lines out of the equation.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the ACC set to very close and to react the acceleration in Sport too. I think there maybe an error with mine or I am doing it wrong as it refuses to get going again. It could be that I am engaging it at the wrong speed but I have read the manual many times for that section and it is not working.
    What speed were you doing when you engaged the ACC? Also I believe that the Lane assist won't engage below approx 60km?
    Last edited by boy123; 11-11-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Hey boy123, mine works exactly like yours, it starts the engine, but does not take off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    As far as I can tell the car will only start automatically again if the engine is still running. My car always starts moving again if this is the case and a message pops up in the maxidot to say the ACC system is ready (or something similar). The Stop/Start system kills the engine after about 5 or so seconds of the car being stationary and the message dissappears. When the car in front starts the engine will start but you need to either bump the throttle or pull the ACC to get the car moving. I think this is whats meant in the manual by "If the preceding vehicle starts moving again after a long break, then to continue the regulation press the accelerator pedal or lever to position RESUME adjust" although I wouldn't describe 5 seconds as a long break. I haven't tried it with the Stop/Start disabled to see if the system will resume after a longer time. Next time I'm in traffic I'll give it a go.

Edit: I believe Lane Assist only deactivates below 65km for cars without Traffic Jam Assist.
    Last edited by Schoda 206; 11-11-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Users Country Flag

I noticed the same when I tried it in mine the other day, worked beautifully at the first set of lights where traffic started moving again just as I came to a stop, then left me sitting there about to get beeped or rear ended at the next two. Having a look at the manual tonight I see this note:

Starting to drive again after a holding period
    As soon as the vehicle ahead starts moving again after a holding period, yourvehicle will also move and the speed will continue to be regulated.
    If the preceding vehicle starts moving again after a long break, then to continue the regulation press the accelerator pedal or lever to position RESUME

So I guess it depends on your definition of a "long break" but I don't think it is very long at all. Good to know and I'll give it a shot next time by bumping the resume on the ACC.