Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Jam Assist

Users Country Flag

Traffic Jam Assist

According to the website, all Oz-Spec Superbs with the "Tech Pack" comes with traffic jam assist which I understand not only starts/stops in traffic but also steers. So far I have not yet seemed to get this to work though... Can someone with this feature tell if it indicates when its active? - I assumed that the lane departure warning light would be green to indicate that it can detect the road markings, but i find mine always stays orange when below 65kph.

I can't find anywhere to turn this setting on or off... I have been using it with lane assist switched on and engaging the cruise control. I know you have to pull the lever towards you when traffic moves etc, but i just haven't noticed it trying to steer at all.

You can turn it on or off the same function that you use for adaptive cruise control.

I don't think it can steer though.
    I never know or try it can steer.

Users Country Flag
    it is the same process as ACC, the difference is that it will continue below 65kph with the lane assist active. Like the car with adaptive crjuise active, the lane assist will tell you to take over steering if steering wheel not held for 12 seconds.
    There is nowhere to activate or turn off the Traffic jam assist
    Heath
    Candy White 3T Superb Elegance Combi 2.0 TDI DSG Paddles shift's, Elecy Taigate, Towbar, 9W7 bluetooth, t20 tints, matts and flaps

Business Grey NP 140TDI Superb Combi with Tech & Comfort Packs, towbar and rubber matts

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So you're saying that if i had it activated on the motorway and then the traffic dropped below 65kph it would keep working, but if you go from under 65kph you can't turn it on? I kind of wondered if that would work.. but it is such a specific circumstance that I've not yet been able to test that out... everytime I think of it I'm already in crawling traffic lol.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Enobar View Post
    So you're saying that if i had it activated on the motorway and then the traffic dropped below 65kph it would keep working, but if you go from under 65kph you can't turn it on? I kind of wondered if that would work.. but it is such a specific circumstance that I've not yet been able to test that out... everytime I think of it I'm already in crawling traffic lol.

Coming from the Audi background but I think the all VAG algorithm should be the same.
    I think if you drop below 35km (In Audi case) them it will trigger Traffic Jam assists where steering and distance control together . It will take you to a completely stop if required and start the engine if you are in stop/start mode
    the only thing you need is to gently step on the Gas pedal and the traffic jam assist will continue the distance control again

Becareful with traffic jam assist and lane assist + distance control as you may run some red lights
    Audi A4 B9(8W) AVANT Quattro 2.0 TFSI
    SOLD - Skoda 2012(MY12) 125 Tdi Superb Wagon, KESSY, Power tailgate, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Well, after struggling through the peak hour traffic to and from work today, I can confirm the following.

With ACC switch on and engaged in traffic jam mode, the lane assist was switched on (orange indication) but would not self steer until I reached 65kph. Then the lane assist indication switched to green and self steer became active. The traffic stop start between Brisbane and the Gold Coast went on for over 1hour, so there was plenty of time to test the system over and over.

Bottom line, no self steer until you reach 65kph or over in the Aussie spec Superb.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Andysuew View Post
    Well, after struggling through the peak hour traffic to and from work today, I can confirm the following.

With ACC switch on and engaged in traffic jam mode, the lane assist was switched on (orange indication) but would not self steer until I reached 65kph. Then the lane assist indication switched to green and self steer became active. The traffic stop start between Brisbane and the Gold Coast went on for over 1hour, so there was plenty of time to test the system over and over.

Bottom line, no self steer until you reach 65kph or over in the Aussie spec Superb.

Bottom line, no self steer until you reach 65kph or over in the Aussie spec Superb.[/QUOTE]

Hmm interesting...

According to the online manual (Å*KODA Superb - Owner's manuals - Å*KODA)

The system activation occurs automatically whilst fulfilling the following basic
    conditions.
    Lane Assist with the adaptive tracking is enabled, the boundary lines on
    both sides are recognized lane » page 243.
    ACC is activated and the regulation » page 233 follows.
    The vehicle speed is below 65 km/h.

I could not say for Skoda but for Audi it only works with auto steering only if it picks the lane (via the lane assist)
    Basically it's a Lane assist + ACC but more intensive (slower and closer towards the front vehicle) under lower speed.
    Once the car completely stopped in the traffic,
    it will also start the engine again when it detects the front vehicle moves and I only need to start moving the car with triggering(hitting) the accelerator slightly.

According to the manual

Starting to drive again after a holding period
    As soon as the vehicle ahead starts moving again after a holding period, your
    vehicle will also move and the speed will continue to be regulated.

If the preceding vehicle starts moving again after a long break, then to continue
    the regulation press the accelerator pedal or lever to set the lever in
    » page 235 position.
    Audi A4 B9(8W) AVANT Quattro 2.0 TFSI
    SOLD - Skoda 2012(MY12) 125 Tdi Superb Wagon, KESSY, Power tailgate, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Andysuew View Post

G'day Andysuew,
    Most of what is written above misses the point, if the Lane Assist indicator is orange, it means it can't activate because it can't recognise the road makings needed to centre in the lane. If it is green, it works. Fact of life in Australia is, our roads are often poorly marked. It requires a line on both sides of the car to recognise a lane. Lane assist works at any speed as long as it can recognise a lane marking on each side. I've tried it at 110kph on a curving road. After 11 seconds of not detecting the weight on the steering of you holding the wheel, it alarms & slows, if you don't immediately grab the wheel. Be very wary of relying on lane assist on our roads where left turns are strongly marked with white lines turning the corner. The car will try to follow it in the absence pf a through line on the left side.

Traffic jam assist relies on the front radar & the sensors around the car. It is activated below 65ks, will start & stop you if you let it do the breaking etc. Restating from stop depends on you not touching anything while stopped. Of course it doesn't recognise red lights or stop signs, so you have to remain vigilant. The other factor which effects how well Traffic Jam Assist works is how sensitive your sensors are set, If you are a regular commuter in traffic, go into settings & set Driver Assist sensitivity as 'Very Close' & tick 'use last setting'. If you don't, the car will sit waiting an eternity before following the car in front & will be braking way before necessary.
    Hope that helps.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fsi View Post
    G'day Andysuew,
    Most of what is written above misses the point, if the Lane Assist indicator is orange, it means it can't activate because it can't recognise the road makings needed to centre in the lane. If it is green, it works. Fact of life in Australia is, our roads are often poorly marked. It requires a line on both sides of the car to recognise a lane. Lane assist works at any speed as long as it can recognise a lane marking on each side. I've tried it at 110kph on a curving road. After 11 seconds of not detecting the weight on the steering of you holding the wheel, it alarms & slows, if you don't immediately grab the wheel. Be very wary of relying on lane assist on our roads where left turns are strongly marked with white lines turning the corner. The car will try to follow it in the absence pf a through line on the left side.

Traffic jam assist relies on the front radar & the sensors around the car. It is activated below 65ks, will start & stop you if you let it do the breaking etc. Restating from stop depends on you not touching anything while stopped. Of course it doesn't recognise red lights or stop signs, so you have to remain vigilant. The other factor which effects how well Traffic Jam Assist works is how sensitive your sensors are set, If you are a regular commuter in traffic, go into settings & set Driver Assist sensitivity as 'Very Close' & tick 'use last setting'. If you don't, the car will sit waiting an eternity before following the car in front & will be braking way before necessary.
    Hope that helps.

So far I've not come across anyone successfully using the system in OZ (i.e. the light going green) below 65kph. I believe (though I could be mistaken) that there have been instances where i've driven the same stretch of the road above 65kph where it has gone green, and below 65 where it has stayed orange which indicates to me that it does not activate at those low speeds. From what I can gather, I think this means that our 'traffic jam assist' is not actually properly activated in Oz even though the brochure indicates it should be.

Users Country Flag

I can say it is activated and working in OZ... From my experience, when I had ACC active with Lane departure assist (green light on),the car automatically stops when I reach very slow traffic (on a highway exit for example)... I have noticed that the greenlight turns amber and "ACC Ready" message appears on maxidot screen... When traffic starts moving, my car start following and steering along the highway... That's all I can remember

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast