Thread: Superb MK3 - Axle Weight

Users Country Flag

Superb MK3 - Axle Weight

folks, i'm trying to figure out what the axle weight is, for the purpose of buying car ramps.
    based on the stamp (image below) on the door pillar, i'm assuming:-
    1. front total = 1060 kg - hence each front axle is 530 kg
    2. rear total = 1050 - hence each rear axle is 525 kg

i'm planning to buy car ramps rated at 1000 kg each. i believe this is sufficient.
    specifically these ones - Stanfred Car Ramps
    thoughts?

p.s. WTF are the weights on the first two rows - 2080 kg and 4080 kg?!?!?!

Superb MK3 - Axle Weight-imag1357-jpg
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    GVM and Tare?

Although they woud seem awefully high.

Not sure I'd trust those ramps though. They look rather inadequate.

What are your intentions for them?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    folks, i'm trying to figure out what the axle weight is, for the purpose of buying car ramps.
    based on the stamp (image below) on the door pillar, i'm assuming:-
    1. front total = 1060 kg - hence each front axle is 530 kg
    2. rear total = 1050 - hence each rear axle is 525 kg

p.s. WTF are the weights on the first two rows - 2080 kg and 4080 kg?!?!?!

Superb MK3 - Axle Weight-imag1357-jpg
    This is what's known as a manufacturer’s statutory plate (or "type-approval plate", or "type plate"), which is affixed to every vehicle sold in the European Union, and is required by legislation to contain certain information, such as:

2080 kg - Gross Vehicle Mass
    4080 kg - Gross Train Mass or Gross Combination Mass (gross vehicle mass of 2080 kg + gross trailer mass of 2000 kg)
    1060 kg - Maximum front axle load
    1050 kg - Maximum rear axle load

i'm planning to buy car ramps rated at 1000 kg each. i believe this is sufficient.
    specifically these ones - Stanfred Car Ramps
    thoughts?
    The tare mass (as per the ADR definition) for your vehicle is 1463 kg. You can find this in the sales brochure.

Thus, given a fuel tank capacity of 66 L, and a density of 0.755 kg/L for petrol, the kerb mass or unladen mass (as per the ADR definition) for your vehicle is 1505 kg.

Assuming a vehicle weight distribution of 62%/38%, the unladen front and rear axle loads are 933 kg and 572 kg respectively.

Or in other words, approximately 467 kg per front wheel and 286 kg per rear wheel.

Therefore, a single ramp rated at 1000 kg (such as that Stanfred ramp you linked) would be more than sufficient.
    Last edited by Diesel_vert; 29-11-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Not sure I'd trust those ramps though. They look rather inadequate.
    What are your intentions for them?
    why are they inadequate?
    the other ramps available have a lower rating, and are skinner in width at 210mm - which is much less than the 235mm tyre width of my Superb.

i'll b using to do my own oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    Assuming a vehicle weight distribution of 62%/38%, the unladen front and rear axle loads are 933 kg and 572 kg respectively.
    Or in other words, approximately 467 kg per front wheel and 286 kg per rear wheel.
    Therefore, a single ramp rated at 1000 kg (such as that Stanfred ramp you linked) would be more than sufficient.
    thanks for that much appreciated.
    i was fairly positive about the ramps being "strong" enough as they're rated for 4WD use.

but, it has been brought to my attention that the long front overhang of the Superb's bumper might hit the ramp first before the tyres get a grip!!! seems highly plausible.
    i gotta try before i buy.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    why are they inadequate?
    the other ramps available have a lower rating, and are skinner in width at 210mm - which is much less than the 235mm tyre width of my Superb.

i'll b using to do my own oil changes.

thanks for that much appreciated.
    i was fairly positive about the ramps being "strong" enough as they're rated for 4WD use.

but, it has been brought to my attention that the long front overhang of the Superb's bumper might hit the ramp first before the tyres get a grip!!! seems highly plausible.
    So how do u try before you buy. You measure the ramps lenght and height To the top of the slope and then you get some boards and stick them up under front tyres. Pack them to the height of the ramp at the distance measured.

You will soon find if the splitter will rub.

Just bought a new house and had to do that as the garage has a short rising entrance to the garage. If it was higher than 180mm at 1500mm long the Passat would have scraped and so would the Polo. All is well as it is only 150mm.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

sadly, my fears have been confirmed.
    thankfully i didn't buy it first without checking it.

the only option if i wanted to use ramps would be:-
    1. get ramp extensions for the ramps
    2. buying racing ramps which cost upwards of $400 USD!!!

jack stands it......