Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunroof making clicking noises

Users Country Flag

Post Sunroof making clicking noises

Hi guys,

Annoying issue, the sunroof in my MY17 Superb sedan is making clicking noises, especially when the car is on uneven surface (rough road or going up a ramp). The noise is there when the sunroof is open or closed.
    There is nothing wrong with the functionality of the sunroof, it opens and closes perfectly.
    The service centre acknowledged that there is a bit of noise, so they cleaned the sunroof and re-lubricated it. Didn't make any difference.
    Has any one had an issue with the sunroof?

I had a bit of noise in my RS wagon with the pano roof on a rough road with it closed early on. But haven't had it since, it seemed to be just normal where bits moved. But yours will a different unit altogether so not sure.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I didn't have any issue for the first 2000 KM, after that I started hearing the noise, and it is getting worse... it feels like the whole sunroof is not fitted properly or it could be the trim around it...

Users Country Flag
    I have the panoramic sunroof on my Superb Wagon MY17, done over 4000km and haven't noticed any excessive noise or other problems with it as yet. However, had the side window chrome trim come out 2x on hot day. Seems to be known problem, so will be requesting to have it checked at the first service. Also, another small problem with passenger window button switch getting pushed in. So, some small issues appearing. Nothing major, but compared that to my Yeti which was flawless from start and solid, perhaps because it was few years after the model release and bugs had been ironed out. Superb MKIII still very new. Interested to hear from others about any issues.
    Skoda Yeti MY13 118TSI 4x4 | Skoda Superb MY17 206TSI 4x4

I haven't noticed any other issues with the car other than the sunroof noise... It looks and drives great.
    I have tested the car again yesterday and I'm almost sure the noise is coming from the trim around the sunroof, not from the sunroof itself...

Users Country Flag

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by posp View Post
    I have the panoramic sunroof on my Superb Wagon MY17, done over 4000km and haven't noticed any excessive noise or other problems with it as yet. However, had the side window chrome trim come out 2x on hot day. Seems to be known problem, so will be requesting to have it checked at the first service. Also, another small problem with passenger window button switch getting pushed in. So, some small issues appearing. Nothing major, but compared that to my Yeti which was flawless from start and solid, perhaps because it was few years after the model release and bugs had been ironed out. Superb MKIII still very new. Interested to hear from others about any issues.
    Not sure this help. My experience on MY12 Skoda Superb Panoramic roof squeaks and clung with the following fix,

1) It has been been first lubricated and (overly) adjusted by dealers.
    Symptom still persist.
    2) The whole glass roof has been replaced.
    Symptom still persist.
    3) I asked them to lubricate again . Symptom is gone but found the sliding clip is broken may be due to age or during replacement of the glass panel.

Car sold months before it all got fix which I had the car for 44months since new.
    Also please make sure the dealer is doing their job as per service item which they need to:

1) lubricate the sunroof rail if optioned
    2) Clear the sunroof drainage if optioned.
    Audi A4 B9(8W) AVANT Quattro 2.0 TFSI
    SOLD - Skoda 2012(MY12) 125 Tdi Superb Wagon, KESSY, Power tailgate, Panoramic Sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by skodian View Post
    Not sure this help. My experience on MY12 Skoda Superb Panoramic roof squeaks and clung with the following fix,

1) It has been been first lubricated and (overly) adjusted by dealers.
    Symptom still persist.
    2) The whole glass roof has been replaced.
    Symptom still persist.
    3) I asked them to lubricate again . Symptom is gone but found the sliding clip is broken may be due to age or during replacement of the glass panel.

Car sold months before it all got fix which I had the car for 44months since new.
    Also please make sure the dealer is doing their job as per service item which they need to:

1) lubricate the sunroof rail if optioned
    2) Clear the sunroof drainage if optioned.

Thanks for your reply... The dealer has already cleaned and lubricated the sunroof, the car has 3000 km on it.
    I really think the noise is coming from the trim around the sunroof... I just don't have time to go back to the dealer again. Btw the noise is there even when the sunroof is completely open.

The problem could be flexing the Panorama roofs are quite large and there could be a couple of reasons for the noise . Recently I had to stop a bloody expensive Mercedes Sunroof which was clicking , I found that the cross brace in the particular model was not bolted in tight enough a few turns on the bolts and it was fine . In your car it could be caused by a couple of things 1/ Higher than recommended air pressure in tyres can cause undue excess road bumps to cause movement in the sunroof housing where its bolted to the body , we have seen in BMW X 5's that they actually fit nylon washers under each of the bolts to allow for flexing in the housing , maybe the roof is not tightened up properly . 2/ Has the car had any mods done to suspension wheel tyre combination from the stock stuff , again we find the most noises from sunroofs are in those cars which have very stiff suspensions in tandem with lo profile tyres . HSV Holden are the biggest problem as the suspension they modify makes the car stiffer than stock , then there are the owners who like I said fit lo profile tyres which are no better than rubber bands .

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    The problem could be flexing the Panorama roofs are quite large and there could be a couple of reasons for the noise . Recently I had to stop a bloody expensive Mercedes Sunroof which was clicking , I found that the cross brace in the particular model was not bolted in tight enough a few turns on the bolts and it was fine . In your car it could be caused by a couple of things 1/ Higher than recommended air pressure in tyres can cause undue excess road bumps to cause movement in the sunroof housing where its bolted to the body , we have seen in BMW X 5's that they actually fit nylon washers under each of the bolts to allow for flexing in the housing , maybe the roof is not tightened up properly . 2/ Has the car had any mods done to suspension wheel tyre combination from the stock stuff , again we find the most noises from sunroofs are in those cars which have very stiff suspensions in tandem with lo profile tyres . HSV Holden are the biggest problem as the suspension they modify makes the car stiffer than stock , then there are the owners who like I said fit lo profile tyres which are no better than rubber bands .

The car is near new, it has 19 235 40 tyres and I keep them inflated at 40 psi, no mods done at all, but I always drive it in sports mode as I enjoy a firmer ride on the road...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    The car is near new, it has 19 235 40 tyres and I keep them inflated at 40 psi, no mods done at all, but I always drive it in sports mode as I enjoy a firmer ride on the road...
    @vexed, did you manage to get your sunroof issue sorted out??
    Mine is doing exactly the same. Over rough or uneven surfaces is clicks and bangs, open or closed. It's sounds like the seatbelt buckle knocking on the b pillar, but this is not the case.
    Daily Drive: 2017 VW Arteon 206TSI, White, Fully optioned inc Sun Roof. APR Stage 1 + DSG, Gtechniq 10h Ceramic Coating, Ceramic Tint, Ceramic Front/Rear Brakes, Eibach Lowered Springs.

Weekend Drive: 2016 Golf GTI 40 Years (Clubsport) Tornado Red, DSG, Tint, Black Badges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast