Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunroof making clicking noises

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Andysuew View Post
    @vexed, did you manage to get your sunroof issue sorted out??
    Mine is doing exactly the same. Over rough or uneven surfaces is clicks and bangs, open or closed. It's sounds like the seatbelt buckle knocking on the b pillar, but this is not the case.
    Hi Andy,

I have been so busy and travelling overseas... Couldn't do much about it.
    I will speak to the dealership and see if there is anything we can do.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Ok, so I left the car at the dealership since Thursday and I got it back today. I had a bunch of small issues (nothing major), including the sunroof noises. They were able to replicate the issue easily, and they replaced some parts (I have them written somewhere) in the sunroof, the problem still exists. They have ordered new parts from Germany, mainly the sunroof bracket, and they will re-seat the sunroof in the new bracket. The service manager told me it is a major job and will take up to a week to be finished. will have to wait and see.
    Overall, the experience at Alto service centre at Artarmon has been great, surprisingly.

Users Country Flag
    Do you ever make use of their "lift to the station" service? If you do, have you spoken to Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by blueSup View Post
    Do you ever make use of their "lift to the station" service? If you do, have you spoken to Bruce?
    I have used their lift to station service in the past, and I have spoken to Bruce... This time I took a loan car... But I saw Bruce there, he seems to be alright.

Users Country Flag
    I love talking to Bruce about his adventures with cars and the people he has driven with. This, of course, gives away the dealership I bought my car at.

I have got my car back today, they replaced the Sunroof Cassette, it took them 4 days to fix.
    The great news is, the sunroof noise is gone... I'm hoping it won't come back again.

Users Country Flag
    After a year of listen to the dreaded creaking and groaning of the sunroof in my sedan, I can honestly say the problem has now been solved. From day one I have put up with these noises which have driven me to the brink of starting to hate my Superb. After two different dealers looked at the vehicle, both saying that can’t find a problem, it has come down to a fellow Aussie Superb owner (Alcoop) who found the fix even after his dealer replaced the entire sunroof, frame and all associated components - with zero success.

Following Alcoop’s instructions, I sat in the rear seat and reached up running my hand across the back of the roof lining which lines up flush with the sunroof framework. Giving a sharp pull down on the roof lining on each corner, the roof lining will unclip from the sunroof frame. Because the roof lining is a one piece moulded unit, the roof lining will not sag down. You will end up with the roof lining edge now slightly below the sunroof frame across the back edge of the sunroof.

The roof of the vehicle will still flex when the car is in motion due to the big hole in the middle of the roof (sunroof) but now the roof lining won’t flex with it. The moulded roof lining is the cause of all the noises. When attached to the sunroof frame, the lining twists and flexes along with the roof creating the noises we are all experiencing.

In addition to the noises, both Alcoops and I suffered from the sunblind gathering up when opening the blind, once the roof lining was released from the framework, this also released the pressure that was being placed on the sunblind cassette and now the sunblind retracts effortlessly without any form of gathering up. This was a pleasant surprise as I have been suffering with this problem since day one as well.

Bottom line, it’s all down to the roof lining fixing points at the back of the sunroof flexing with the roof/sunroof and creating the noises. Once released, all noises etc disappear.

It astounds me that the dealers and Skoda themselves can’t figure this out and just fob off the customer because we complain about something that is not correct. In this case it comes down to owners of the vehicle to find the cause and create a simple fix. Skoda need to have a look at the way the roof lining is designed in sedans that have the sunroof and modify the design to eliminate this problem. At the very least, they need to issue a technical bulletin to the dealers to apply this simple fix that a lot of owners have complained about across the globe.

As you can see in the photos, you wouldn’t even know if the lining had been detached from the roof. I am now falling back in love with my Superb.
    Now if I can just fix the squeaks coming from the cup holder in the centre console (the dealers said that they all do it…I call Bulls%*t) I will be a very happy boy...any suggestions??
    Daily Drive: 2017 VW Arteon 206TSI, White, Fully optioned inc Sun Roof. APR Stage 1 + DSG, Gtechniq 10h Ceramic Coating, Ceramic Tint, Ceramic Front/Rear Brakes, Eibach Lowered Springs.

Weekend Drive: 2016 Golf GTI 40 Years (Clubsport) Tornado Red, DSG, Tint, Black Badges

Quote Originally Posted by Andysuew View Post
    After a year of listen to the dreaded creaking and groaning of the sunroof in my sedan, I can honestly say the problem has now been solved. From day one I have put up with these noises which have driven me to the brink of starting to hate my Superb. After two different dealers looked at the vehicle, both saying that can’t find a problem, it has come down to a fellow Aussie Superb owner (Alcoop) who found the fix even after his dealer replaced the entire sunroof, frame and all associated components - with zero success.

Following Alcoop’s instructions, I sat in the rear seat and reached up running my hand across the back of the roof lining which lines up flush with the sunroof framework. Giving a sharp pull down on the roof lining on each corner, the roof lining will unclip from the sunroof frame. Because the roof lining is a one piece moulded unit, the roof lining will not sag down. You will end up with the roof lining edge now slightly below the sunroof frame across the back edge of the sunroof.

The roof of the vehicle will still flex when the car is in motion due to the big hole in the middle of the roof (sunroof) but now the roof lining won’t flex with it. The moulded roof lining is the cause of all the noises. When attached to the sunroof frame, the lining twists and flexes along with the roof creating the noises we are all experiencing.

In addition to the noises, both Alcoops and I suffered from the sunblind gathering up when opening the blind, once the roof lining was released from the framework, this also released the pressure that was being placed on the sunblind cassette and now the sunblind retracts effortlessly without any form of gathering up. This was a pleasant surprise as I have been suffering with this problem since day one as well.

Bottom line, it’s all down to the roof lining fixing points at the back of the sunroof flexing with the roof/sunroof and creating the noises. Once released, all noises etc disappear.

It astounds me that the dealers and Skoda themselves can’t figure this out and just fob off the customer because we complain about something that is not correct. In this case it comes down to owners of the vehicle to find the cause and create a simple fix. Skoda need to have a look at the way the roof lining is designed in sedans that have the sunroof and modify the design to eliminate this problem. At the very least, they need to issue a technical bulletin to the dealers to apply this simple fix that a lot of owners have complained about across the globe.

As you can see in the photos, you wouldn’t even know if the lining had been detached from the roof. I am now falling back in love with my Superb.
    Now if I can just fix the squeaks coming from the cup holder in the centre console (the dealers said that they all do it…I call Bulls%*t) I will be a very happy boy...any suggestions??
    Many thanks for your post... This thing is still extremely annoying in my car.
    Could you please post some photos? I'm very keen on trying the fix you have proposed.

Users Country Flag
    My Arteons roof has this issue on and off ramps too. didnt think to complain. But im going to try this soloution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    Many thanks for your post... This thing is still extremely annoying in my car.
    Could you please post some photos? I'm very keen on trying the fix you have proposed.

I’m currently away for a weeks holiday. Will post images when I get home. The photos I took are on my work laptop.
    Daily Drive: 2017 VW Arteon 206TSI, White, Fully optioned inc Sun Roof. APR Stage 1 + DSG, Gtechniq 10h Ceramic Coating, Ceramic Tint, Ceramic Front/Rear Brakes, Eibach Lowered Springs.

Weekend Drive: 2016 Golf GTI 40 Years (Clubsport) Tornado Red, DSG, Tint, Black Badges

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast