Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: different tyre sizes on 19s

different tyre sizes on 19s

Hi guys,

I had read somewhere that someone had confirmed (with an engineer) a different tyre size would work on 19 Phoenix wheels instead of the current stock size of 235/40/19?

Has anyone read this, as I am unable to find the post/details?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Yes. I have 245 40/19s Continental Sports contact 6s on my 206. It is legal for the rim size, according to JAX, confirmed in RTA regs. 245s are a common size to fit hold-ons, fords & a lot of other makes in Australia. Hence they are more readily available, more choice of makers & variants at significantly cheaper price per wheel than 235s.

There is an old thread in here somewhere in which the math of the difference to 235s was agonized over by the forum professors for a week. In short, when brand new, inflated to 38psi, the tyres will indicate just on 2kms higher at 100kph. That still leaves you 3kms under the real speed limit of 100kph because ADRs mandate manufacturers must adjust speedos to read 5% higher than your real speed. IE: You will still be 3kph below the actual speed limit at 100kph. Of course, as they wear, the difference becomes nothing.

I've also got a full size spare with 245 fitted. It fits about 12mm high in the wheel well, after trimming the intrusive bit of flat plastic trim across the rear of the wheel well. Purists have kittens about this but with the boot floor in place I'm yet to find anyone, including Skoda mechanics doing services, who even notice a difference. Better than the billy cart wheel Skoda supply as a spare, if you are a regular traveler.

Users Country Flag
    thanks for that @2009fsi.
    tis good to know that 245s r an option to consider. as u pointed out - they are more common here and hence much cheaper thanks to the demand, in comparison on the 235s.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Arrr!! Champion. Thanks for that!

One question - the inflation values, do you increase the PSI a little more than the inflation guide for the 235s? (tyres/load/front rear psi value)
    If so, how much, or not at all?
    Last edited by yeders; 17-04-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: inflation question

Users Country Flag
    The tyre manufacturers recommended pressure for 245.40.19 Conti 6 on the car is 36-38psi. I use 37psi, have nice even tyre wear & very good steering feel & adhesion in all conditions. Under inflating risks wall damage on our uneven goat tracks, over the reverse potholes called speed humps etc.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fsi View Post
    The tyre manufacturers recommended pressure for 245.40.19 Conti 6 on the car is 36-38psi. I use 37psi, have nice even tyre wear & very good steering feel & adhesion in all conditions. Under inflating risks wall damage on our uneven goat tracks, over the reverse potholes called speed humps etc.
    How are the 245's going a few months on?
    Might start looking into 245's for mine also!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    So it appears that the VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition runs a 19x8 (Albertville) with 245/40R19 94W tyres.

I think there would be no issue with a change from 235 up to 245 still on the 8" rim.

Maybe VCDS can code for the different tyre size to cancel out any speedo error?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Is anyone running 245/40/19 on a MK 7 Golf ? I have a new set of wheels 19 x 8.5 and was thinking of 245 for comfort. cost and stance reasons.

Users Country Flag
    So a little further digging revels the Passat (like my previous B8 had) comes with a full size spare, so no real issues there.

I would be interested to hear from other ŠKODA Superb owners with 19" wheels what their space saver tyre is?
    Mine is a Continental T125/70R18 99M CST 17.

I too am / was considering the change to a 245/40R19 tyre as replacement, however one piece of advice I received from a Tyre Retailer was to check the spare and compare the dimensions (rolling circumference), as they seem to think that they should all be the same as any difference could throw out the car (drivetrain / Haldex) if driven for any extended amount of time. For example if faced with a puncture and then rolling on the space saver for another couple of hundred kms...

As the rolling circumference of the Continental T125/70R18 99M CST 17 is 78.2inch; 125/70R18 Tires

Which doesn't even match the OEM 235/40R19 tyres rolling circumference of 82.9inch; 235/40R19 Tires

So my question is, are the supplied space savers all 18" or should they also be 19"?

As now the theory of the Tyre Retailer most likely has no relevance based on the OEM items as described above.

Yes the 245's are cheaper and have an increased availability / variety of patterns, but I am wondering if it is the right choice?

What I do know is that the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres need to go!!!

Users Country Flag

the 162TSi Superb comes with a 205/55/16 spare tire.

different tyre sizes on 19s-spare-tyre-02-jpg
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast