Thread: Voltage/signal for 1.4TSI Diverter valve?

Users Country Flag

Voltage/signal for 1.4TSI Diverter valve?

Hi guys,

Only my second post here after just registering and doing the intro message. I have a question I am hoping you can answer...

I am using the KKK K03 turbo setup from a 1.4 TSI on my 1967 998cc Mini. It comes with the diverter valve installed and rather than fit an external diverter/BOV I thought I'd check how I can operate the OEM one. Do you know what voltage needs to be applied to the valve in order to actuate it?

I am thinking I can just apply a voltage to open the valve above the appropriate boost level (I might add the GFB upgrade to this too)

Failing that I could of course blank off this and use an external one, but this would be a neat solution.

cheers!
    Morbo

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    For any future person googling in the future, the super helpful people at GFB answered this question for me. Thanks guys...

"...I can confirm that the voltage is 12V, is either on or off and does not use a duty cycle..."

I'm installing an adjustable pressure sensor switch which is normally open and will close when the set boost is reached and dump any boost spikes when the throttle snaps closed. I'll set it for a few psi above wastegate boost..

Users Country Flag
    I would swap it out for one of the many mechanical diverters out there. Unless you have some management that will open it for you. I wouldn't make life complicated.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey Gavin, thanks for your response. This is nice and OEM, compact and an elegant solution. All it needs is a 12v signal to activate at a given PSI, easy peasy! No electronics needed at all. Also engine room is at a premium in a classic Mini. I see this as the path of least resistance if anything especially if you are comparing aftermarket diverters as you say, or whether you mean aftermarket BOVs that vent to atmosphere. Aftermarket diverter would require plumbing and space, replicating and complicating what I already have here waiting for me.

The good thing about modifying and restoring cars is that everyone has their own idea of where to draw the line of originality, simplicity, effort, the philosophy of the build etc. My last build varied greatly in aim, method and cost, even though they are both forced induction Minis.

Users Country Flag

You can get Diverter valves that Bolt in the stock location. I used the word Diverter not bov on purpose. �� there would be one vacuum pipe off the inlet. Not a messy situation.