Thread: TwinCharger Golf Clattering Noise

Users Country Flag

TwinCharger Golf Clattering Noise

Hi Guys,
    My GT Sport has started making a lovely clattering noise over the last few days, at idle and when revving, local mechanic thinks it might be something to do with the supercharger clutch.

It has done 172000km's, so I guess it's not too surprising that something like this would starting to go, but is there anything I should be getting looked at in particular? the noise is definitely coming from the back of the engine bay (where the supercharger is).

I have booked it in to get checked by a VW dealer next week, hopefully it will last until then...

Hi mate,
    I've experienced a similar issue with my Golf GT Sport my08 (albeit mine has only done 96,000km). It seems that the noise my engine is generating is more limited to using the air conditioning as it only ever starts once the A/C has been running for roughly 5 mins or longer. If I don't use the A/C at all it never starts. The noise is similar to what you're describing, like a slight clunking noise.

I took the car to a registered VW mechanic when it first started happening and he said that without fully taking the engine bay apart he could not diagnose what was causing it. It takes them at least 6 hours to get into the engine and diagnose anything so I wasn't keen to get it done at the time. He did give me the 99.9% all clear though that it was more than fine to drive but potentially something that should be looked at when I have the spare cash.

Two things I have found through troubleshooting;
    1. The noise is only there when sitting idle and not in gear and only after having had the A/C on for more than 5 mins.
    2. If the noise is happening and I push in the clutch the noise will stop. Starts again as soon as the clutch is released.

Other than that it seems fairly sporadic. It's been 6 months now and the car has had no dramas but the noise continues to happen in line with the A/C usage. I'm not sure if this helps you at all but thought I would share just in case.
    Cheers.
    MY08 Golf GT Sport MKV

MY08 Golf GT Sport MKV

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Took it to the VW dealer, it appears to be the Water Pump, which funnily enough the SuperCharger Clutch is part of the same assembly.

They have quoted $1000 to repair and top up fluids, not sure if that is a good price or not?

kane9522

Users Country Flag
    By "repair" i assume you mean replace the faulty parts with brand new genuine VW parts? The supercharger clutch/water pump is quite a common failure on these twin charged engines.

The water pump is likely to only cost a few hundred dollars (that what they cost for the Mk5 and Mk6 GTI anyway), so the remainder will be labour. i have tried to find the part number for the water pump/clutch so that i could find a replacement cost, but have not had any luck finding the part number.

Here is some info on the waterpump/supercharger clutch unit on your engine: New FAI Water Pump for VW Group Twincharger 1.4
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    By "repair" i assume you mean replace the faulty parts with brand new genuine VW parts? The supercharger clutch/water pump is quite a common failure on these twin charged engines.

The water pump is likely to only cost a few hundred dollars (that what they cost for the Mk5 and Mk6 GTI anyway), so the remainder will be labour. i have tried to find the part number for the water pump/clutch so that i could find a replacement cost, but have not had any luck finding the part number.

Here is some info on the waterpump/supercharger clutch unit on your engine: New FAI Water Pump for VW Group Twincharger 1.4
    Yeah, replacement of the pump, they said 3 hour job, and considering they mentioned $150/hr, I can assume the parts cost $500

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    i have tried to find the part number for the water pump/clutch so that i could find a replacement cost, but have not had any luck finding the part number.
    Here are 3 part numbers for the pump/clutch
    03C121004E
    03C121004J
    03C121004JX
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG