Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which tool needed for rear caliper piston retraction?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Good idea jets. And thanks Brad I'll keep that seller in mind.

Users Country Flag
    For what it's worth I've bought a couple of automotive tool kits in red blow mould cases from a Chinese supplier that ships from Sydney. The company is vidaxl-au. On one occasion the case was damaged in transit and they sent a replacement promptly.

They sell a double caliper piston rewind tool kit, but it seems to be a few dollars more than the supplier already mentioned in this thread.
    Universal 22pc Disc Brake Caliper Piston Rewind Tool KIT Auto Wind Back CAR SET | eBay
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Thanks for that info 3cm4 guy. I eventually bought a tool from this seller as their price was good and they use Aussie Post so I can collect it locally on Sat morning instead of trapsing half way around melbourne looking for tbe office of a private courier company if I'm not home when they deliver.

*Universal 22pc Disc Brake Caliper Piston Rewind Tool KIT SET Auto Wind Back CAR | eBay

I notice it doesn't say VW in the description for suitability, but it does say Audi.
    Please post back on this thread after you have used the tool to tell us how it all went.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    metako, the one you bought from homepromart looks like a good kit at a very good price. Per jets, please let us know how it goes and if there is an adaptor that's a perfect diameter for VW. There are other kits with more adaptors at more than twice the price that literally fill the red case, but they're unnecessary if you have the correct size in the smaller kit.

https://www.vidaxl.com.au/p/210271/b...ool-kit-40-pcs

I assume it's still possible to push the pistons back with the old pads still in place without using this kit and without rotating the piston, but using this kit is supposed to be kinder on the piston seals?
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

okay I will report back when its recieved. 3C4M Guy-from what I have read the front pistons can be pushed back without a tool although a tool is easier and kinder on the pistons. For the rear however you do need a tool as the piston needs to be turned clockwise as you push it in as it has a handbrake mechanism inside it. I've seen people on youtube using pliers to turn the rear piston but I wouldn't do this as it risks damaging the piston.

I recieved the tool 7 days after paying for it including a weekend so that's pretty good. It was postmarked as sent from NSW. The quality seems good (better than the pics on ebay) and although I haven't used it yet I believe the correct adapter for the Golf is the Nr6 or Nr7 as arrowed in the attached pic. I've read that the correct size is 2 x pins with a centre to centre of 31mm with 6mm OD pins. Why there are two adapters in this kit of the same size I do not know.

Which tool needed for rear caliper piston retraction?-brake-piston-tool-mine-marked-jpg

Users Country Flag
    #6 is 5.9mm studs on 32.8mm centres woth a depth of 5mm

#7 is 5.9mm studs on 33.4mm centres with a depth of (approx - stupid vernier doesn't do depth) 2.5mm.

Maybe that 0.6mm centre difference makes all the difference? Certainly the 2.5mm / 5mm stud depth appears meaningful.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Mine are different. #6 pins are 6.18mm and 6.0mm OD with length of pin 4.66mm and 26.75mm between pins, which equals 32.84mm centre-to-centre.

#7 pins are 5.99mm OD both with length of 4.52mm and 26.93mm between pins, which equals 32.92 centre-to-centre, so there is marginal difference between them. It is hard to believe tolerances in the measurements of different pistons are this tight. Anyone got a Golf MkV rear piston to measure?
    Last edited by metako; 10-07-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Users Country Flag

Any update metako on how the job went with this wind back kit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast