Support VWWC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt..

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    It's 105,000km or 7 years.

But yeah, don't follow that schedule, it's way wrong, and yes you might as well throw a belt kit at it if the pump is leaking.
    7 years? Wow, what happened to the 4 or 5 years which was mentioned back in 2010?
    MKV GTI

Sorry to bring such an old thread back to life.
    I have 2005 MKV Golf 2.0L TDI, the manual with my car clearly states to change the timing belt at 120,000KM's.

I know the general consensus is that VW changed the intervals in recent years to 105,000KM's, what interval stands as correct for my exact year and make?

My timing belt was changed at 108,586KM's back in June 2012, my car now stands at 216,400KM's. I understand taking chances with not changing the timing belt on time is a costly gamble. I am planning on changing asap, however I may not be able to get my timing belt changed for another week or two.

I guess im looking for some sort of piece of mind that it's safe enough to drive around? If I am to follow what my manual states it still hasn't been 120,000KM's since it was changed, but over the newer 105,000KM interval introduced more recently.

Any thoughts on my particular situation?

Hmm.

5 years and over 100k both times.

I wouldn't sweat over running a week or two more.

But then.....

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Users Country Flag
    As long as it was done as it should be the first time, you'll be right.

I'd just like to point out that the originally the timing belt replacement interval is much longer, they make it shorter for Australia due to the higher temperatures (sounds crazy, yeah?) . On average it's 150,000km but most recent are 180,000 and 240,000km. Mind you, the decade ago VW Australia fooled many car owners and made them to go for the Timing Belt replacement every 60,000km despite that there weren't any failures!

Thanks for the thoughts and help guys.

I'm still somewhat baffled as to why my car manual would clearly state the 120,000KM timing belt interval. The ordinary person servicing with any old mechanic would simply abide by what's in their book if until they are told otherwise.

Surely though at time of development VW would have undertaken sufficient testing and have enough evidence to know that 120,000KM was a safe interval.

My first timing belt was done by the VW dealership so I would imagine it was done correctly, in regards to VW changing the intervals to suit Aussie weather conditions is a strange generalisation... I live down in Melbourne, it isn't exactly the Sahara desert.

I had my car originally booked in for this week for the timing belt change, but due to other circumstances it cannot be done now.
    Hopefully it can be done in the next week or two, just hoping the timing belt will last...

Users Country Flag
    The book is not specific to the Australian market.

It's a global book, so service intervals at times, don't line up with what Volkswagen Australia specifies.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    The manual will only ever have the advice available at the time of print.
    Revisions are made as failures become evident. Hey even the DSG oil was changed from synthetic to mineral as the oil was acting as an electrical conductor.
    You need to use a mechanic who subscribes to the VW bulletins, not one who simply reads the manual from 10+years ago.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    You need to use a mechanic who subscribes to the VW bulletins, not one who simply reads the manual from 10+years ago.
    My VW dealer has told me repeatedly 7 years in regard to my 2007 Golf GTI (as recent as a few months back). I sure hope they read the bulletins!
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eran View Post
    Sorry to bring such an old thread back to life.
    I have 2005 MKV Golf 2.0L TDI, the manual with my car clearly states to change the timing belt at 120,000KM's.

I know the general consensus is that VW changed the intervals in recent years to 105,000KM's, what interval stands as correct for my exact year and make?

My timing belt was changed at 108,586KM's back in June 2012, my car now stands at 216,400KM's. I understand taking chances with not changing the timing belt on time is a costly gamble. I am planning on changing asap, however I may not be able to get my timing belt changed for another week or two.

I guess im looking for some sort of piece of mind that it's safe enough to drive around? If I am to follow what my manual states it still hasn't been 120,000KM's since it was changed, but over the newer 105,000KM interval introduced more recently.

Any thoughts on my particular situation?
    Went by the book and had mine changed at 120,000 afterwards there was all the talk about 105,000.
    Don't really recall reading anything about cam belts breaking back then before 120,000 ???
    With 180,000 now if still have it at 240,000 will have it changed then.

My 07 Mk5 2.0 TDI had its first change of timing belt at 120k with coolant pump & the kit.

Second belt last month as above at 240k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2.0TDI Comfortline, Candy White, Sun Roof, Leather, SATNAV, Bluetooth, 6 Speed Manual

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast