Support VWWC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Snow Chains for MkV

Hey all,

Just a quick update. Lucked out and was in Perisher for the dump they got over the weekend: Skiers' dreams answered with 55cm of snow

The road up to Front Valley was very snowy and icy but the RUDs worked a treat! Got them on in no time and didn't have any troubles on a very slippery surface.

I got some stares from the guys directing us on the side of the road =)

Highly recommended!

Here are some pics

Nice...looks sweet! I just got a set to fit the wifes new Audi Q5 too.

I was just reading up on this myself and was wondering if there was much intrest if we organised a bit of a group buy from Germany.
    I found them for approx $323 ea + shipping. I asked about cost of shipping and was told approx $80 for one set $120 for two $200 for three and $240 for four.
    Let me know you thoughts because I am quite keen to get a set after watching the video on how easily they are fitted.
    Thanks,
    Micahel
    Please Note: The costs are approx because actual costs are in Euro so may vary depending on exchange rate. Also of note is that they are off ebay Gernmany and he has 5500+ positive ratings.

be aware that if you order more than 3 sets, you would be exposing the group buy to duty and GST (and import agency fees), so the extra cost (around 18%) would more than offset any savings you make on freight.

If you are keen do it groups of 3 or less.

I am on another forum called Snow Reports, Cams, Forecasts & Ski Accommodation | ski.com.au - you should see if you can rally up some interest there Viewing list of forums - forums.ski.com.au
    2007 Audi RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade; JHM Quick Shifter; Milltek Catback and Downpipes; KW V3 Coilovers; Argon Creative Carbon Fibre Splitters

I could be keen... They're not model specific are they? I could use them on another car with a similar wheel/tyre size?

I've never driven up to Aussie ski fields but have driven up to NZ ones for the last 8-10 years, with a couple missed in between. But I've never had to drive with chains since the road has either been clear or I've been in a 4WD or a quattro

I've got a MkV Golf TDI now though.
    Last edited by 5pot; 05-07-2011 at 02:34 PM.

All these pics in the snow are making me drool!
    MY07 GOLF GTI
    5-Door l Tornado Red l DSG l Leather l Xenons l MFD2 l TCP T.B.E l DNA stage 1

Users Country Flag
    I had similar problems with looking into putting chains on my Jetta as I have the same front end as a gti and I wasn't prepared to spend around seven hundred bucks on some piece of chain. I was almost considering snow socks before I found out that I actually wouldn't need them this year luckily. They only cost about sixty bucks and apparently work better than the chains however I couldn't find any definitive answers on the nsw snow sites or the National park site as to whether they legal or not and I wasn't prepared to gamble on the fine. I'm heading to the snow in my girlfriends parents territory!

Users Country Flag
    this NSW snow chain info from RTA will help

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati..._june_2009.pdf

Users Country Flag
    Hi - here's my VW GTI MKV 08 with 225/45/17 (Potenza s001) experience vs Hotham and a pre-blizzard experience 05/08/17.

I hired Konig CL-10 snow chains witch have a 10mm internal clearance from Roof Carrier systems. It left me with about 2mm clearance, but removed that nagging feeling of breaking a chain, apparently it happens a lot with the 7mm chains.

So half way up we pulled into a bay where I put them on - the first one was really easy as it was on the road side the other side was in slush and was a bit harder, make sure you have decent waterproof low profile gloves, I managed to shave a nice bit of skin off my hand. There is hardly any room to get them on, had to take my watch off to get my hands in there.

Once they were on the self tensioning worked perfectly, I did do an extra check 200m on and picked up a small amount of slack.

The chains did an amazing job - they stayed on perfectly, the tyres however did slip a few times, they dont really have any place on a steep mountain road covered in snow and ice and I could felt them spin in 2-3 sections. The spinning was a bit stressful as I heard this can throw the chain but luckily no hassles.

I cruised up the mountain using my 1st and 2nd gears at no more than 35kph. I averaged 25-30kph. I also moved over when I could to let faster vehicles go by...

The conditions were close to the worst you can get and the car did fine but if I were to take the GTI back up I would definitely want winter tyres. They would save on stress and be much easier to fix chains to plus get you up the mountain faster.

Or grab a 4WD. I did see a newer GTI whip past in the snow and ice and was doing fine - no idea what tyres he had on though.
    Last edited by Roosashi; 08-08-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Hello!

I've read through this tread and it appears that I wont be able to drive my 2010 Jetta up to Mt Buller tomorrow!

Just wondering if I have any options regarding snow chain hire / rental? I dont want to purchase some of these snow chains as 1) not enough time and 2) I only go up once per year or every 2nd year....

Are there any rental options out there which will work on a MKV Jetta with 225/45/17 (sports pack edition which has the GTI suspension)

Thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast