Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snow Chains for MkV

Quote Originally Posted by John Deere View Post
    Yep...lazy.....having fitted many types of chains in many types of weather, centrax are far and away the quickest and easiest in all conditions...no tyre hugging, no tensioning, just drape them on, do up the clip and drive away.
    Yeah i agree.

I've seen friends put on normal chains at the snow, and it's fine when you're warm and doing it on a flat dry surface, but in the middle of a winter snowstorm with a strong cold wind, slippery road, snow/mud everywhere and either with gloves on or freezing bare hands it would be a different story!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere View Post
    Yep...lazy.....having fitted many types of chains in many types of weather, centrax are far and away the quickest and easiest in all conditions...no tyre hugging, no tensioning, just drape them on, do up the clip and drive away.
    To be honest i couldn't really justify the number of 'chain days' that i encounter on the way to perisher (thredders gets almost none) to spend up on the centrax.... I used the last set of Konig chains i bought for my toyota kluger once in two seasons...

The pics I posted of putting the chains on are on the way to Mt Hotham....I have been there 3 times and had to fit my chains twice. That day we were still 25ks from the resort!

My chain days are pretty high, have probably fitted them 10-12 times in 2 and a bit seasons, and always in blizzard conditions wher I was glad to be taking the easy option.

But I agree, if your not fitting them much, the cheaper the better if your ok with the small inconvenience.

Users Country Flag
    I find it hilarious that every year around this time, there's a thread regarding snow chains
    2002 Volkswagen Bora V5 - 2007 Mazda 3 GT - 1998 Ford Contour Sport - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T - 2013 Volkswagen Passat 130TDI - 2015 Ford Escape 1.5 - 2016 Subaru WRX - 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon

maca i was inspired after i bought myself a new boarding jacket... i then got a little concerned after reading that my tyre size was unsuitable... the search function revealed one or two dead ended threads....

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy125TDi View Post
    maca i was inspired after i bought myself a new boarding jacket... i then got a little concerned after reading that my tyre size was unsuitable... the search function revealed one or two dead ended threads....
    I have no idea what a boarding jacket is but it sounds like fun. I hope to make a dash to the snow fields sometime this year.. What a perfect car to do it in
    2002 Volkswagen Bora V5 - 2007 Mazda 3 GT - 1998 Ford Contour Sport - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T - 2013 Volkswagen Passat 130TDI - 2015 Ford Escape 1.5 - 2016 Subaru WRX - 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by maca View Post
    I have no idea what a boarding jacket is but it sounds like fun. I hope to make a dash to the snow fields sometime this year.. What a perfect car to do it in
    boarding = snowboarding....

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy125TDi View Post
    To be honest i couldn't really justify the number of 'chain days' that i encounter on the way to perisher (thredders gets almost none) to spend up on the centrax.... I used the last set of Konig chains i bought for my toyota kluger once in two seasons...
    Agree with you Sammy, the number of times i'll need the chains will probably be very few, but for us GTI owners, unfortunately normal chains doesn't give enough clearance between the tyre's inner wall and suspension, so the centrax was the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by xplainwhy View Post
    Agree with you Sammy, the number of times i'll need the chains will probably be very few, but for us GTI owners, unfortunately normal chains doesn't give enough clearance between the tyre's inner wall and suspension, so the centrax was the only choice.
    The jetta and GTi front end are the same i believe? and we both run 225/45-17...

I tried the regular Konig T2 magic chain and there definately wasnt enough room... these K7's leave plenty... so i'm pretty happy for 1/3 the price.

Just received my Konig K-Summit (K23) set today. (225/45/17) YouTube - K-Summit fitting and removing

very similar in design to the RUD Centrax.

$540 + $20 shipping (to CBR) from Rays ski shop, vic.

I'll try to remember to get some pics when i next head up.
    MY09 Oettinger tuned GT Sport

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast