Support VWWC

Thread: Removing plastic trim from inside tailgate

Removing plastic trim from inside tailgate

(Posted this in the FAQ/DIY sticky but maybe it wasn't 'visible' enough)

Can anyone help me?

I was teaching my daughter to drive and we had a slight mishap reversing into an overhanging tree.

There is a minor dint in the tailgate just to the left of the right hand reverse light cluster. I reckon if I could get the tailgate trim off I could push it out but I don't know how to get the plastic trim off.

Any clues?

Thanks,

H
    MY08 Golf 2.0 FSI Pacific

Users Country Flag
    Not sure if it's too late for you, but I did this to mine this evening.

Under the two grab handles there is a single phillips head screen in each, if you open the hatch and stare up into the grab cavities in the plastic trip you will see them there.

Once they are removed, level the edges gently away from the metal from both sides and once you can lever enough, gently but firmly pull the plastic cover down and away from the boot hatch.

It may seem brutal at first, but the metal clips will indeed pull away with a loud 'clicking' sound. There are a a few so just keep levering away until the trim comes away completely.
    Dino.

SQ5 V6TDI | 911TT | Polo 6C

Quote Originally Posted by horrendo View Post
    (Posted this in the FAQ/DIY sticky but maybe it wasn't 'visible' enough)

Can anyone help me?

I was teaching my daughter to drive and we had a slight mishap reversing into an overhanging tree.

There is a minor dint in the tailgate just to the left of the right hand reverse light cluster. I reckon if I could get the tailgate trim off I could push it out but I don't know how to get the plastic trim off.

Any clues?

Thanks,

H
    Some guides here - http://www.my-gti.com/category/diy/interior-trim

And the one you're after - Volkswagen Golf Rear Lid Trims – Removal and Installation