Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio station display on stereo

Radio station display on stereo

Noticed today that the radio stations now advertise numbers to call and recent promotions through the stereo display.

It flashes on and off in the main display, centre screen.

Now, if only they made a TIM available?

I noticed the same thing on Friday MMM have the show name and phone number constantly scrolling across the screen.

Users Country Flag
    I noticed that too, and I think the name we're seeing is a test service in anticipation of the the upcoming launch of digital radio, which is set to start in early 2009. The official launch is scheduled for May 2009.

The Feds passed the Broadcasting Legislation Amendment (Digital Radio) Act on 10 May 2007. But the act is based on the European Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) standard. This type of service (with the radio station display) has been available in Europe since at least 1994, so it's good to see Australia at the cutting edge once again

The station name is displayed in the form of a scrolling list, as tuning will no longer be by frequency, but by station name.

By 1 May 2009 all national, commercial and wide-area community broadcasters in capital cities will have the possibility to begin broadcasting their existing analogue services in digital.

Me too...jumped in the car Friday arvo and 'hamish and andy show' was scrolling accoss my MFD.

have B105 gone digital in some way?

I think Triple M have had it for awhile, as in our XTrail we have a pioneer head deck and triple M have had stuff scrolling thru for at least 6months

I thought we were meant to be getting digital radio in this country yrs ago (in line with the UK) but i think it has gone back to around 2013

** dub star clarified.
    MY08 Jetta 2.0 Turbo FSI - OJE774
    Graphite Blue / Beige Leather / Sunroof / 18' Fox Rims / Tint / iPod Adapter / Bluetooth /

Users Country Flag
    Yep this came up on the old gamma radio system on my MkIV as well.
    I think traffic information is starting to be broadcasted soon as well for GPS units and the like.

2010 Renault Clio RenaultSPORT 200 Cup 20th Anniversary Edition - #19 of 30 - The French Connection...
    2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 MkIV - #044 of 200 - Gone But Not Forgotten...
    "Racing is life; Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen -=-=- "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Unknown

yeah B105 only recently has started to have the display thing on, the only other i know of is 97.3
    Blue Graphite MY08 3 Door GTI, Leather, DSG

Oh gawd.... commercial radio, yuck! I don't see the point of RDS, when you think about it it's like the (advertising) rubbish they put up on the bottom of TV screens. Just remember, your RDS/RNS head units are not digital, this is just RDS based data being sent across the analogue FM signal.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzvidz View Post
    Just remember, your RDS/RNS head units are not digital, this is just RDS based data being sent across the analogue FM signal.
    pinzvidz is right, I should have clarified that Yes, to receive digital radio, you'll also need a digital head unit / receiver.

RDS-based data is something altogether different.
    Last edited by Dub_Star_V6; 05-10-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub_Star_V6 View Post

The Feds passed the Broadcasting Legislation Amendment (Digital Radio) Act on 10 May 2007. But the act is based on the European Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) standard. This type of service (with the radio station display) has been available in Europe since at least 1994, so it's good to see Australia at the cutting edge once again

And who knows Australia might even catch-up with the UK and broadcast traffic information or would that be too much evolvement in one century
    GTI, Black, 3 door, Manual, Sunroof, Anthracite Leather, RNS510, Premium Bluetooth

Has anyone else noticed reception has dropped a bit?

Or is it just my bloody car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast