Thread: Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?

Users Country Flag

Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?

A pea-sized pint bubble appeared under the paint, I noticed it for the first time after washing the car. It was small and firm initially but appears to have softened and grown over the past few days. Anyone else experienced this and whats my best course of action to remove or at least prevent getting any larger? Or will it continue to get larger if untreated?

It'll probably continue growing if it isn't stopped — just hope it isn't rust...

You'll need to take a bit of it off and look under to see the cause, then clean up the metal and touch up the area.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    An update, the original bubble (the large one) now has two smaller bubbles either side of it.

is the whole section compromised? Can't help but feel this may be stemming from the drain plug in the fuel filler opening seeing how close they are to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?-img_6028-jpg  

Update on this. First pic is before, you can see how the rust has grown since the first picture, followed by the pictures sent to me by the place doing the work. It's going to be more expensive that i'd hoped and am now wondering whether I need to offload this before anything else flares up.

Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?-photo-21-3-17-8-00-13-am-jpg
    Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?-photo-21-3-17-9-57-04-am-jpg
    Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?-photo-21-3-17-9-57-01-am-jpg
    Pea sized bubble has appeared under paint after a wash?-photo-21-3-17-9-57-07-am-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Have the repairers indicated that there might've been some bodywork done on that area previously?

I've not seen rust on a Golf this new. Ever. By the end of the 90's, they pretty much had it sorted.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Have the repairers indicated that there might've been some bodywork done on that area previously?

I've not seen rust on a Golf this new. Ever. By the end of the 90's, they pretty much had it sorted.

Hi mate, very interesting to hear that you've never seen anything like this before.

The repairer said he'd never seen rust on a Golf in this area before either, and from his initial look did have a very wild guess that previous bodywork may be the cause, but he said he wasn't really sure. I'll pick his brain when I collect the car and post any more updates.

The car's been in the family since 2011 with no issue so if that's the case it's been bubbling under the surface for a long time. hopefully your feedback means this is an isolated incident and i don't have to worry about any further rust.

For anyone wondering, cost is $670. The fact that the repairer comes highly recommended doesn't make this any less painful on a 10 year old car.

Users Country Flag
    Dont VW have a 10 year guarantee no rust in body (of cars)
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    12 years corrosion warranty I'm pretty sure. 6 years on Amarok.
    In saying that, I'm still waiting to hear back on a corrosion claim i made on my (ex) 2011 Amarok.
    Last edited by winchy; 21-03-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Phito.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Well I've had it back and am very pleased and relieved with the result. Can't comment on the warranty issue and by the sounds of the diagnosis I wouldn't have been covered I imagine. Apparently the drain in the fuel filler cavity was no longer connected to the tube that drains to the rear of the wheel well.

Behind the rust patch in between the skin and the steel body of the car there was a 'sealed' cavity that was holding the water no longer being drained apparently which explains the rapid deterioration of the skin. He said it was like tin foil.

Photos don't do the job justice. It looks seamless and better than I could have hoped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MK6 2.0 TDI Golf Comfortline w/ Sport Pack *SOLD*<br>
    2007 MY08 MK5 1.9 TDI Golf Comfortline<br>
    <br>