Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flapper Mod, Does it reduce Back pressure?

Flapper Mod, Does it reduce Back pressure?

I am thinking of getting the flapper mod and I have looked all through this forum but can not find anything on whether or not it reduces back pressure in any significant way. I'm just concerned that this may have a negative effect on torque.

Also there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on how to do it and they all seem a litle difficult to understand. Anyone in Adelaide had it done?

Users Country Flag
    the flapper mod does not affect the exhaust in anyway apart from the noise.

it is a stock feature, but my modding it, you have it enabled all the time.

simplest way is to just pull out the black hose from the vacuum tub.
    84 MK1 GTI
    01 DC2R

Quote Originally Posted by Big Yellow View Post
    the flapper mod does not affect the exhaust in anyway apart from the noise.

it is a stock feature, but my modding it, you have it enabled all the time.

simplest way is to just pull out the black hose from the vacuum tub.

Is that the cleanest way? Sorry, it just seems like there are some very complex ways to do it but your saying to just pull it out and leave it? I'm happy to do it if thats gonna be safe. Its not gonna hurt falpping around underneath?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneR32 View Post
    Is that the cleanest way? Sorry, it just seems like there are some very complex ways to do it but your saying to just pull it out and leave it? I'm happy to do it if thats gonna be safe. Its not gonna hurt falpping around underneath?

Cheers
    Google the mod, there are a few ways of doing it and find one that you're comfortable with. None of them leave anything flapping about underneath.

Users Country Flag

Cheers
    ive had it pulled out for nearly a year (did it like couple weeks after i bought the car).

no issues and no flapping about.

its a very short piece of rubber hose. its like 5mm in diameter. wont do any harm.
    84 MK1 GTI
    01 DC2R

It's safe, just do it. Find a screw big enough to plug the hose if you want.

And use a plier if you can pull the hose out by hand..

It would by a miniscule amount up to when it opens but as its at the end of the exh the gasses would of cooled and reduced in volume so it only affects the noise bypass.

I cut the hose under left rear valance and plugged it with a blocked fish tank air hose joiner.

Bazzle
    Prev 2008 R32 3 door DSG.
    Prev 2010 S3 Sportback Stronic.
    Now Lexus IS350 F Sport

I haven't heard anything about affecting torque, but it seems to drone slightly in 6th gear on the highway if you're in too low a gear (although it's not really a drone just gets a bit deep). give it a go and see what you think it's 100% reversible if you dont cut the hose, but you have to seal off the hose (i just doubled it over and used a zip tie).

Well I got under the car, cut the hose and plugged it with a golf tee. (fits perfectly). It's really only a subtle difference. (My last car had full custom exhaust so still quiet in comparison.) I do like it better tho. Particularly when you are in manual mode, I can rely more on the engine sound to change up and down. This will have to do as far as exhaust goes. I really cant see myself going down that track again (custom exhaust). I don't think it would suit the dsg. loud exhausts sound better with a manual imo.

Get my haldex gen 2 installed tomorrow. Cant wait!
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Well I got under the car, cut the hose and plugged it with a golf tee. (fits perfectly). It's really only a subtle difference. (My last car had full custom exhaust so still quiet in comparison.) I do like it better tho. Particularly when you are in manual mode, I can rely more on the engine sound to change up and down. This will have to do as far as exhaust goes. I really cant see myself going down that track again (custom exhaust). I don't think it would suit the dsg. loud exhausts sound better with a manual imo.

Get my haldex gen 2 installed tomorrow. Cant wait!
    Only a subtle difference you reckon? Does the noise get progressively louder, or is it just louder at lower revs now?

I quite like the way the R32 sounds standard. Actually, I should rephrase that - I f&^%ing love the way the R32 sounds standard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast