Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to DSG and wondering about launch smoothness

Users Country Flag

New to DSG and wondering about launch smoothness

I've just bought my 08 R32 with the DSG and being new to DSG gearboxes, I've got some concerns about the way that it works.
    For some reason when taking off from standstill in 'D' (eg at traffic lights or stop sign etc), most of the time it will go into 1st gear quite hard especially when I take off slowly. Very similar to a 'bunny hop' with a normal manual.
    Is this normal for a DSG?

I just got the gearbox oil changed 2 days ago and there's no fault codes either.
    Given these units cost a mint to replace, I want to make sure that there isn't something actually wrong with it.
    (if I'm honest, I would MUCH prefer to swap it for a normal manual!)

Did a VW stealer service the DSG?

Some shy away from a dealer because of the excessive service fee which can be $1000-1600, but if using a another service center make sure the correct fluid is used.

I took a little while to appreciate my 06 DSG with one annoying feature being total transmission-disconnect the instant the brake pedal is touched making it difficult to inch in/out of my garage. I now use the handbrake to trick it. New to DSG and wondering about launch smoothness

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Generally you can't just take your foot off the brake and put it straight onto the accelerator like you can in a typical auto. You take your foot off the brake and wait until you feel the gear engage ie as if the clutch has been let out. Then you put you foot on the gas. If you don't give it that half a second to engage you will often get the sensation similar to in a normal automatic if you had put your foot lightly on the gas in neutral and then pulled it into drive. It will clunk in. You just have to learn to be a little bit patient.

As for reversing out of the garage, I have found with my Golf and my Skoda, that if you learn to lightly trail the brake pedal it will continue to supply drive. Push it that little bit harder though and it will disengage, like putting the clutch in. You then let the brake off and wait that half second again for it the let the clutch out again.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    "Mechanical Sympathy" comes from the great racing driver Jackie Stewart, who was a 3 times world Formula 1 champion. He believed the best drivers had enough understanding of how a machine worked so they could work in harmony with it. ☺
    Last edited by winchy; 24-06-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by weonarok View Post
    Did a VW stealer service the DSG?

Some shy away from a dealer because of the excessive service fee which can be $1000-1600, but if using a another service center make sure the correct fluid is used.

I took a little while to appreciate my 06 DSG with one annoying feature being total transmission-disconnect the instant the brake pedal is touched making it difficult to inch in/out of my garage. I now use the handbrake to trick it. New to DSG and wondering about launch smoothness

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave
    Yeah it was done by VW Wangara cost about $600 or so to change the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    Generally you can't just take your foot off the brake and put it straight onto the accelerator like you can in a typical auto. You take your foot off the brake and wait until you feel the gear engage ie as if the clutch has been let out. Then you put you foot on the gas. If you don't give it that half a second to engage you will often get the sensation similar to in a normal automatic if you had put your foot lightly on the gas in neutral and then pulled it into drive. It will clunk in. You just have to learn to be a little bit patient.

As for reversing out of the garage, I have found with my Golf and my Skoda, that if you learn to lightly trail the brake pedal it will continue to supply drive. Push it that little bit harder though and it will disengage, like putting the clutch in. You then let the brake off and wait that half second again for it the let the clutch out again.
    Ah yeah that'll be it. So that's normal behaviour then :S
    I guess I'll have to improve my reaction time with the lights

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    On a related note, does it do the same when driving in manual mode?
    I noticed that it has a tendency of staying in gear when coming to a stop in 1st.

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried Launch control yet ?
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post

do this.
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

YouTube: how to reset the dsg mechatronics.

Plus the above comments , be patient. Dsg is not an auto nor a manual.

“Feel” the friction point before you put you right foot down

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Greenvagride View Post
    YouTube: how to reset the dsg mechatronics.

Plus the above comments , be patient. Dsg is not an auto nor a manual.

“Feel” the friction point before you put you right foot down
    Above point BUT if you feeling a thud or clunk it could be your transmission mounts (dog bone).

A thing my missus use to do is reverse then just put it straight into D then punch it, let's just say she doesn't drive my R anymore

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast