Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK5 Jetta error codes: P2279 P2187 & P1093

Users Country Flag

MK5 Jetta error codes: P2279 P2187 & P1093

Having a issue with my Jetta 06 2.0 TFSI running realy rough on idle.

Getting bellow 3 error codes:
    P2279
    P2187
    P1093

If anyone has had same issue or can help out would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
    Having a issue with my Jetta 06 2.0 TFSI running realy rough on idle.

Getting bellow 3 error codes:
    P2279
    P2187
    P1093

If anyone has had same issue or can help out would be greatly appreciated.
    P2279 can be a bad PCV valve (remove the oil cap at idle, if difficult to remove it could be the PCV), could also be leak in the intake.
    P2187 is system too lean which could also point to a vacuum leak or the PCV.
    P1093 is a fuelling error.

I'd be checking out the PCV.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    When i tried to remove oil cap it was very difficult it actually dint even let me do it. The handle nearly snapped off!

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
    When i tried to remove oil cap it was very difficult it actually dint even let me do it. The handle nearly snapped off!
    I'd say it's the PCV valve for sure then. You could loosen the cap when the engine is off and open it after you start it up and you should be able to feel air being sucked into the engine. Pulling the dipstick out a bit will also help with removing the oil cap when the engine is idling.

Here's a good explanation of how the system works

"PCV stands for Positive crankcase venitilation. There is pressure in the crankcase if you open the cap you now have created the path of least resistance and you will get pressure coming out of the 1.5" hole vs the .5" hole that is the PCV.

With a PCV system like ours routed back to the intake the point is that whether the vacuum the turbo creates at part and wot or the vacuum is created by the intake manifold at idle it will see vacuum however not too much vacuum. Having too much vacuum will actually literally suck oil right out of the crankcase which is actually more common then the other way with boost blowing into the crankcase.

If you look at that round flat part of the front PCV portion that is a restrictor, at WOT the path to it is closed by a check valve near the connection for the hose going to the intake manifold this prevents boost from blowing into the crankcase defeating the purpose of the PCV.

The opposite though when the car is at idle or under vacuum in the intake manifold at part throttle the rubber diaphram in the restrictor pulls itself more and more closed. The higher the vacuum the less flow. So if you have the car running and attempt to open the cap but cannot due to the strenght of the vacuum or the car stalls out because having the cap open is drawing in that much unmetered air then you know that restrictor failed, quite common for the rubber to tear.

Now if you have so much pressure that the cap blows off or is blowing oil out then you probably have the failed part of the valve that is supposed to seal shut with boost. Oddly this seal works better with more boost (like a DV) and isn't usually increased boost that kills it. STock your car can make 20+psi but is requesting 12 so if it has a leak of say 2psi it can make 14-15 to make the boost it wants, people just don't notice that it fails until their software that is supposed to make 20psi only makes 15 because the leak is greater then what the car can compensate for."

source: VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com - View Single Post - Pressure under oil cap?

Thanks appreciate your help!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    With a PCV system like ours routed back to the intake the point is that whether the vacuum the turbo creates at part and wot or the vacuum is created by the intake manifold at idle it will see vacuum however not too much vacuum. Having too much vacuum will actually literally suck oil right out of the crankcase which is actually more common then the other way with boost blowing into the crankcase.
    I lol'd at this.
    Since when does a turbo create vacuum ?
    Vacuum at WOT , ha ha ha , turbo's create boost not vacuum !!
    And the intake manifold now creates vacuum ?
    You'll find most cars wont have such a big issue with vacuum sucking oil out due to the amount of restrictors in the rocker cover and the pcv itself .

And for everyones information the TFSI engine is a negative crankcase ventilation, the same as the early 5 cylinder audi's. To test this pull the dipstick out and start the car, the car should run slightly rough, placing a finger over the dipstick tube you should feel a vacuum and the engine should slowly return to an even idle. Removing the oil cap while the car is running is just going to show you how much negative pressure there is in the crankcase.
    Euro Revolution - eurorevolution@live.com.au
    Importing Quality Performance and Spare parts for Audi & Watercooled VW's
    New website almost up and running ... http://eurorevolution.webs.com/index.htm
    Courtney

Changed the PCV with a BSH bulletproof one and the engine is running all good and the codes have dissapeared.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteVR6 View Post
    I lol'd at this.
    Since when does a turbo create vacuum ?
    Vacuum at WOT , ha ha ha , turbo's create boost not vacuum !!
    On the outlet side of the turbo boost (positive pressure) is created when their is acceleration but on the intake side a vacuum (negative pressure) is present.

And the intake manifold now creates vacuum ?
    When there isn't acceleration as the outlet side of the turbo is under vacuum just like the intake side.

You'll find most cars wont have such a big issue with vacuum sucking oil out due to the amount of restrictors in the rocker cover and the pcv itself .
    The description that I _quoted_ was adequate for the problem at hand and gave a good overview of how the system works.

And for everyones information the TFSI engine is a negative crankcase ventilation, the same as the early 5 cylinder audi's. To test this pull the dipstick out and start the car, the car should run slightly rough, placing a finger over the dipstick tube you should feel a vacuum and the engine should slowly return to an even idle. Removing the oil cap while the car is running is just going to show you how much negative pressure there is in the crankcase.
    Which is what the description I _quoted_ said.

Users Country Flag
    Maverick to the rescue again!
    Graphite Blue TDI| DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenons | Custom LED inner tails | Black Forest TAI | OSIR Pod & New South Boost Gauge | Bluefin | Projector Fogs | RNS510 | Skoda Bluetooth | Eibach Pro kit Springs| Full LED interior|US GLI paddle shift MFSW|Carbon Vinyl wrapped trims|Colour Coded Votex Body Kit|

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    On the outlet side of the turbo boost (positive pressure) is created when their is acceleration but on the intake side a vacuum (negative pressure) is present.

I need an explanation of how this has anything to do with the PCV system ?

When there isn't acceleration as the outlet side of the turbo is under vacuum just like the intake side.

Hang on , your saying that its possible to have a vacuum on the outlet and inlet side of the turbo at the same time ?

The description that I _quoted_ was adequate for the problem at hand and gave a good overview of how the system works.

For a 1.8t maybe , not a TFSI !

Which is what the description I _quoted_ said.
    No its not , its nothing like how the crankcase works on a 2.0tfsi
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast