Thread: Mk5 GTI BWA air intake leak 008825 and MAF conundrum

Users Country Flag

Mk5 GTI BWA air intake leak 008825 and MAF conundrum

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone out there is willing to share thoughts on the issue as follows:

Approximately 6 months ago I was struggling with a EPC and tracting control light issue where the car would enter limp mode when in Cruise Control and under load (e.g. going up a hill). This would throw the code:

17743/P1335 - Engine Torque Monitor 2: Control Limit Exceeded

After some diagnosis and troubleshooting, I couldn't find an air leak anywhere and decided to try a new MAF sensor.

I purchased one online (AIP electronics brand) and fitted it. The butt dyno felt like the car performed better and I haven't had a limp mode incident since, even when towing a boat up a steep hill in cruise control.

Recently, however, I noticed a CEL come up and go away, and now the car is throwing this code:

18711/P2279/008825 - Leak in Air Intake System

With trim adaptations:

ADD: +2.0% MULT: +13.3%

Suggesting that it is running lean and fuel is being added to compensate.

Checked again for leaks and I can't find anything obvious.

Interestingly, when I install the old MAF I do not get any fault codes and the trim adaptations are around:

ADD: -0.8% MULT: -1.2%

Has anyone got any ideas? I recently replaced the valve cover gasket, but unsure if that is related.

It seems weird that installing the old MAF fixes the issue, but im not sure if this is because it is correct, or just faulty and therefore not good enough to register the air leak in the intake?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Car is Stage 2 APR with carbonio and downpipe and exhaust.
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: Absolute Red 2000 S3 8L - Stage 1 Custom Code
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.

Users Country Flag

Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution