Thread: MK5 Golf Tiptronic Auto Assembly Questions

MK5 Golf Tiptronic Auto Assembly Questions

I've recently purchased a 2006 Mk5 GTi Automatic Golf. Now the day after I purchased it I went to take it to the mechanic because it needed some new cv joints and on my way decided to try the Tiptronic out. All went well until went to put it back into automatic, heard a crunch then the gear selection on the dash started flashing, car wouldn't drive, wouldn't turn on and couldn't even remove the keys. Got the 500m tow truck ride and waited for a few days now they are saying the auto shifter assembly is cactus. Problem is they say it cant be second hand, has to be new because it has to be coded into the ecu and new from a dealer costs in the excess of 2 grand. So my questions are;

1: Are they full of it when they say it has to be new and coded?
    2: If it does have to be new can it be imported cheaper and if so where could I source that?
    3: If you can get away with a second hand part is there much involved in replacing it?

Users Country Flag
    These are a DSG box.

The Tiptronic is in the non-turbo petrol Golfs of the time.

Hard to understand what's gone wrong here, due to some of the terminologies not lining up with what the car has.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Excuse the terminology. Just replace tiptronic with DSG. I went from +- to D and it made a loud crunch. Something loose now rattling around inside of the shifter assembly. Mechanic recommended brand new shifter assembly.

Users Country Flag
    i'm no expert, but at the same time, i generally don't trust the mechanics when they want a whole assembly replaced. I feel sometimes they just go " Oh, your AC isn't working? Let's just replace the whole compressor " and then you find out it was a blown fuse or something.

I got told I needed something replaced cause of my Check engine light.. I got a friend to scan with vcds, which told me it was the throttle body. Did some googling, got the part from wreckers on ebay.. and it literally took me 3 bolts to un-do and I **** you not, it was fixed.

I wouldn't call myself anything close to proficient with cars.. I can't even change oil.. but i know how to google and do some basic ****..

My advice, find someone with VCDS to scan it for you and see if you have an error codes ( you should) and then google those error codes.
    This might save you hassle/money... just my opinion anyway.
    Last edited by jaackyy; 14-10-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Where are you located ?
    Maybe someone nearby can help with a VCDS scan, then you will have a much better idea of the actual fault.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

All good guys it's definitely cactus, did some sleuth work and you can't get them second hand.

New question though with the power window motors are they proprietary or can you say get one from the front left to front right? (because they look extremely similar)

Users Country Flag
    Are you 100% sure it's the shifter assembly?? This fault is usually a issue with the clutch packs and/or mechatronics and not the shifter unit...

Users Country Flag

Have a look on eBay. There are a few 2nd hand shifters for sale. Get the car scanned for codes that way you'll have a better understanding of what's wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2008 POLO GTI - SOLD
    2005 MkV Golf GTI - couldn't resist