Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Engine Number?

Where is the Engine Number?

I've got to re-register my Golf V GTI in another State and they need to sight the engine number as it is stamped on the engine (not the sticker or the one in the boot). I've spent two hours with my head under the bonnet, taken off all sorts of bits and spoken twice to the dealer (who was vague). I still can't find it. Can anyone tell me where it is, please?

Users Country Flag
    isnt it in the service handbook as well?
    84 MK1 GTI
    01 DC2R

No, couldn't find it there. Shows where it is in the boot, but that's a sticker and the RTA guy won't accept that. Needs to see it die-stamped on the engine, apparently.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieJoe10 View Post
    No, couldn't find it there. Shows where it is in the boot, but that's a sticker and the RTA guy won't accept that. Needs to see it die-stamped on the engine, apparently.
    Die stamped? VW's genrally have a sticker on the left strut tower in the bay, a plate on the front plastic trim above the headlights, and in the chassis near the rain tray.

I can't remember there being a "die stamped" engine number on any VW I've ever seen

Right hand side of the car, a sticker on the engine. Should be about 12x 3 cm
    MY07 GTI 5door Silver Manual (9.1kg / kw)
    T2'008 (2.7kg / kw)

www.steinerit.com

I went through this back in 2006 with Mum's GTI. She purchased it new in Victoria and wanted to get it registered in South Australia.

Stickers of any kind were not acceptable - it had to be the number stamped on the block.

Apparently it's between the engine and transmission, and to see it the car had to be taken apart.

I told them what I thought of that idea (no) and after much deliberation they decided to OK it with the number on the stickers. I'm not sure who they spoke to other than my mechanic (Tim at Auto Studio is a gun) but the entire process took about 8 hours and two visits.
    Last edited by Steve; 15-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    R36 =

Thanks, everyone. After a couple of hours of looking I sorta got the feeling that this wasn't going to be easy. You'd think the VW dealer would at least be able to tell me how much dismantling would be necessary, but they can't. I'll try talking RTA into accepting the sticker.

Any luck doing so?
    R36 =

Users Country Flag
    did you find it? i will be in the same boat in a few weeks time i believe...

.:R32 | GIAC | HALDEX II | MILLTEK | BMC | WHITELINE | A-ROTORS | HAWK

If the number is actually there on the engine (but difficult to see) maybe an endoscope (borescope) may be useful ? That way the authorities can see it, but you don't have to dismantle anything to get at the awkward location.

They are a neat tool, but I haven't got around to getting one (yet).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast