Support VWWC

Thread: Installing a driver's seat

Users Country Flag

Installing a driver's seat

Hi folks,

Here's the question...would it be possible to install a driver's seat from a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta (built 2006, model year 2007) into a 2007 Jetta (built 2007, model year 200. It's an Australian Jetta. As far as I can tell the seats are the same, except the 2006 seat has a manual lumbar adjustment, and the 2007 seat has electronic lumbar adjustment.

Would the airbags still work, or would the car give off an error reading?

Here's the reason, I have a lower back injury, and for some reason unknown to me, I am perfectly comfortable in a 2006 seat with the manual lumbar. I once drove over 2,500kms in a week in it and felt perfectly comfortable, and I used that car for a few years.

Due to a number of circumstances I have just bought a 2007 Jetta (2.0T, petrol) and the slight difference in seat design is giving me back pain and sciatica. I can get a 2006 seat from a supplier, so would there be any hassle for me to install it?

Cheers!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kilbourne25 View Post
    Hi folks,

Here's the question...would it be possible to install a driver's seat from a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta (built 2006, model year 2007) into a 2007 Jetta (built 2007, model year 200. It's an Australian Jetta. As far as I can tell the seats are the same, except the 2006 seat has a manual lumbar adjustment, and the 2007 seat has electronic lumbar adjustment.

Would the airbags still work, or would the car give off an error reading?

Here's the reason, I have a lower back injury, and for some reason unknown to me, I am perfectly comfortable in a 2006 seat with the manual lumbar. I once drove over 2,500kms in a week in it and felt perfectly comfortable, and I used that car for a few years.

Due to a number of circumstances I have just bought a 2007 Jetta (2.0T, petrol) and the slight difference in seat design is giving me back pain and sciatica. I can get a 2006 seat from a supplier, so would there be any hassle for me to install it?

Cheers!
    SHouldnt be a big deal. Disconnect the battery or be prepared to deal with the fault codes from the airbag controller.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    If it gives fault codes wouldn't that mean the airbags wouldn't deploy in an accident?

Users Country Flag
    as I found out last week there are 2 different types of airbag plugs.
    you will need to check if they are the same.
    my manual seats have a dull yellow plug and the seats I was trying to fit have a bright yellow plug.
    And they will not plug into each other.
    Last edited by asa572; 03-03-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Thanks asa572. Any chance you have a photo of the old plug? What did you decide to do with the seat in the end?

Users Country Flag
    the plug on the right (dull yellow) is the airbag plug (seat side)from a 2006 jetta with manual lumbar adjustment.
    the plug on the left (bright yellow) is the airbag plug (body side) from a 2008 golf with electric lumbar support.
    I have some GTI Pirelli seats that I want to fit and I don't want to cut the original seat airbag wires so I'm going to make a patch harness with both the plugs pictured.

MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Thanks mate! That's terrific. I've sent you a PM.