Thread: Indicator & High Beam fault.

Users Country Flag

Question Indicator & High Beam fault.

Hi Guys,

My '09 MK5 Golf GTi developed an unusual fault two days ago. When I indicate (Three flash lane change) to turn, my high beam comes on for a few seconds, the right indicator flashes three times, then the left indicator flashes three times. It doesn't matter which way I attempt to turn, I get the same outcome.

If I move the indicator fully into the on position, the High beam comes on and stays on until I re-centre it. The same pattern of indicator flashes is repeated. If I turn the indicator on when the ignition is on, but, motor not running, the high beam comes on and stays on.

Any ideas what is going on here?

PS. I have a Stage 1 ECU and DSG tune done in March '17. I get the occasional intermittent Engine Warning light which disappears after a couple of days. This light came on Saturday night and is still on. The indicator trouble started the following Monday night.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

VWBoomer.

Users Country Flag
    It's possible that the indicator/high beam stalk is worn internally, and may need replacing.

As for the engine light, you'll need to have it scanned for codes.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    If that was the case, would it throw a code identifying it? My brother-in-law has a VSDC program.

Bernie

Users Country Flag
    It might, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you're able to manipulate the fault by moving the stalk around, then it's a good chance that's what it'll be.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Is the indicator stalk pushed forward to the high beam mode ?
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi JustCruisn

No the stalk is in its normal low beam position. It does not seem to vary the response with wiggling of the stalk. I have owned from new and am quite particular about my treatment of the car. I am the driver for 99% of the cars life. Its been well treated/pampered.

Seems odd that when I put the indicator into the on position, there is no indicator action at all. Only the high beam coming on and staying on until I cancel the turn or it self cancels.
    Last edited by VW Boomer; 10-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.