Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track Day

Track Day

Hi Guys -

Well first track day in the Pirelli, and all in all it was pretty good.

The $15k of mods held up fairly well. The KW suspension was very good, but not as good as the brakes. The brembos were outstanding considering the punishment they got on the track and the skidpan. 3 hours of absolutely hammering the living daylights out of them (and I really do mean hammering the daylights out of them), and they were as strong on the last lap as the first. Amazing.

The GTI is a very different beast to drive hard, compared to all the RWD V8's I've driven in the past. I found it essential to get all the braking done VERY early (no jamming on the brakes going through a corner), otherwise you lose virtually all control (monster understeer). If you get the braking done, and power through a corner, it's just great.

Four wheel drifts were a blast, as was the rush of power through the short straights.

The only criticism I could make, is the whole loss of handling thanks to the FWD. It's difficult to describe.. Go in too hard into a corner, and you can forget any acceleration until you've straightened it up again. Not only that, but if you overcook it the front end starts 'bunny hopping'. Unlike a RWD where you can just apply the power, and you're away. Like I said, get the braking done early and it's fine.

The DSG was also a bit hit and miss. As I was getting used to the track, I just left it in S. Upshifts were occasionally a bit late (lots and lots of redlining going on), and sometimes downshifts were a little too late too. It would have been much better going in full triptronic, but I was focussing too much on corner speed and braking markers to worry about what gear I should have been in. It did pretty well, no doubt better than I would have been if I'd been driving a manual anyway.

I think I still need to tweak the suspension settings quite a bit (had the rear end bouncing around the place at several points under serious braking) but the KWs did an outstanding job.

The pirelli p-zeros were absolutely A1, although now they are absolutely torn to shreds. No joke, they're about as rough as the bitumen I was driving on... Definately be replacing it with more of the same down the track. Very highly recommended - I had to push almost as hard as I could take it before they would let go.. (I was the weak link, not the tyres)...

All in all, it was a blast. Although I'm absolutely 100% sure it was going significantly faster than a RWD v8, it was still a bit of a handful. The trick I reckon, to be quick you have to be smooth smooth, smooth...
    Last edited by kryten2001; 19-03-2009 at 10:20 PM.

[QUOTE=kryten2001;298221]The pirelli p-zeros were absolutely A1, although now they are absolutely torn to shreds. No joke, they're about as rough as the bitumen I was driving on... Definately be replacing it with more of the same down the track. QUOTE]

The P-zeros may be a great tyre, but they will be no match to a proper semi slick. The semi slicks may give better traction but they will definitely hold up much better than P-zeros. Almost all good manufacturers make semi slicks, but some that i would recommend would be Dunlop, Toyo and maybe Kumho (its what i run). I bet these semis will even be better priced than the P-zeros. So get some nice light rims and chuck some semis on for track and drive home on the P-zeros. I wouldnt drive around on only semis, as they tend to be a bit noisy, and will wear out quicker than street tyres, but the semis will outlast a street tyre on the track.
    '98 SEAT Ibiza Cupra Sport (track/race car)
    '05 CADDY (work/daily runabout)

Users Country Flag
    Which track did you go to? AHG near the airport?
    BMW E36 M3 3.0L LTW - SZYBKI
    VW Up! 1.0L - WGN WERKS

Great write up, sounds like the brakes were well worth the coin. FWD on the track is definately a handfull if you are used to RWD v8's. Interesting observation about the rear end bouncing aroudn under hard braking, what were you planning to tweak with the suspension to counter this?

20' R & 06' 32

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR32 View Post
    Great write up, sounds like the brakes were well worth the coin. FWD on the track is definately a handfull if you are used to RWD v8's. Interesting observation about the rear end bouncing aroudn under hard braking, what were you planning to tweak with the suspension to counter this?
    probably his damper settings..
    5dr TR GTI - Leather - Tints - 6 Speed - BOOST OOOOH YEAH!!!!

Users Country Flag
    dude, this thing sounds all over the shop?! perhaps your driving style needs changing or the mk5 isnt such a nice platform sorry for being harsh but it really sounds like a handfull?! when i ran my mk3 vr6 for the 1st time i had none of the above, even with brakeing hard and late and powering out of the corners was fine; you perhaps need to do some serious tweaking; A diff and slicks are your priority also! oh, and switch to manual shift not auto (jeez i sound like an ass! i'm not that bad, honest )

Quote Originally Posted by KI11Z View Post
    dude, this thing sounds all over the shop?! perhaps your driving style needs changing or the mk5 isnt such a nice platform sorry for being harsh but it really sounds like a handfull?! when i ran my mk3 vr6 for the 1st time i had none of the above, even with brakeing hard and late and powering out of the corners was fine; you perhaps need to do some serious tweaking; A diff and slicks are your priority also! oh, and switch to manual shift not auto (jeez i sound like an ass! i'm not that bad, honest )
    There probably is an element of driving style, but also don't forget there is serious power going through those skinny front tyres.

20' R & 06' 32

I would have been more concerned about all the redlining on an engine which only a week ago had less than a 1000 k's on it I know a lot of people say these new engines should be driven hard but I would have thought it was a little too soon to be fanging the hole out of it, even though it has had the original oil changed as well Just my .02 cents worth anyway

Russ
    Russ

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Premium

Quote Originally Posted by KI11Z View Post
    ...when i ran my mk3 vr6 for the 1st time i had none of the above...
    When did you get the Mk3? If it was a while back (I notice you've been a member here since 2006) then I'd have to ask: how do we compare your memory of what your first track day was like vs kyrten's report which is very detailed and seems to have been written straight after the event.

Not trying to start a flame war or anything - just asking...
    2008 MkV GTI BG Tints

sounds brilliant Kryten, glad you enjoyed the track day, AND the car even more.

Those brembos are fun, but can hurt a bit when its time for new pads i'm currently shopping for pads for my GT-P (with 36k on the clock). and best price so far is $925
    2007 Audi RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade; JHM Quick Shifter; Milltek Catback and Downpipes; KW V3 Coilovers; Argon Creative Carbon Fibre Splitters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast