Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG transmission oil change

UGR32 Guest

DSG transmission oil change

I know its the general census that these tranny's are filled for life, however I cant help but think about all the metal shavings floating around in there...

Has anyone had there DSG trans fluid changed? If so is it costly?

I would only like to get it done after the first few thousand kms as after that I doubt there would be much more metal coming off the gears after the first few thousand kms...

Logzy Guest
    They're not filled for life.
    A fluid and filter change is required at 40k

Users Country Flag
    And you need special equipment to refill back up though the drainplug!!!
    I sourced mine through my dealer.
    Dont drain it unless you have the correct refiller and also the genuine fluid!!
    cheers, Andrew
    Par 6 Golf GTI. Coilovers, BBS CH Wheels, APR'd
    Caddy van 05/07 (colourcoded) (BRIGHT! orange!) coilovers, Konis 18in. wheels, Oettinger tuned

UGR32 Guest
    yeah I read it up on the net;

http://www.mkv-gti.net/wiki/index.ph...ansmission_oil

you need to change gears with the engine running (obviously) with a drain tube in the transmission to drain the excess... How on earth do you do this ??? Might just pay the dealer to do it.

Users Country Flag
    And you need Vagcom to read the operating temperature as well as to when it overflows out.
    They make things tricky these days!
    Andrew
    Par 6 Golf GTI. Coilovers, BBS CH Wheels, APR'd
    Caddy van 05/07 (colourcoded) (BRIGHT! orange!) coilovers, Konis 18in. wheels, Oettinger tuned

UGR32 Guest
    Just spoke with VW dealer today, they said it is an 'optional' part of the 60k service, and costs $720.

I might get it done at the first 15k service, so I wont need to get it done again as Im sure the first 15k on the fluid will be the toughest - majority of metal shavings etc.

They said there is a magnetic seal on the sump plug that catches the metal, how well it works Im not sure....
    Last edited by UGR32; 06-08-2008 at 11:58 AM.

UGR32 Guest
    VW vag com software - http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

anyone used this on thier laptop with thier VW?

Im looking into it as you need the tool to do a DSG oil change as u need to view DSG oil temps.

You need to select each gear during the oil change procedure with the engine running, how do you do this while stationary??

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by UGR32 View Post
    You need to select each gear during the oil change procedure with the engine running, how do you do this while stationary??
    This is the exact reason I would leave it to the Xspurts....your dealer.

From what I have heard...this is not a job for the weekend mechanic.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

UGR32 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    This is the exact reason I would leave it to the Xspurts....your dealer.

From what I have heard...this is not a job for the weekend mechanic.
    Actually I rang VW the other week and was advised by the service manager that none of the mechanics there had ever changed the oil in a DSG transmission!

Thats why I dont see any difference in myself doing it. Ive read the step by step manual - http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/DSG_40K_Service.pdf

All you need is the right tools - about $200 worth, this is still a saving of $500 from getting the dealership to do it.

The only thing Im stuck on is how do u change gears all the way up to 6 with the car stationary? Maybe once the VAG is plugged in it will let you .

I have a laptop and the cable, and I have downloaded the freeware of VAG COM which shows the DSG engine oil temp.

Quote Originally Posted by UGR32 View Post
    Actually I rang VW the other week and was advised by the service manager that none of the mechanics there had ever changed the oil in a DSG transmission!

Thats why I dont see any difference in myself doing it. Ive read the step by step manual - http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/DSG_40K_Service.pdf

All you need is the right tools - about $200 worth, this is still a saving of $500 from getting the dealership to do it.

The only thing Im stuck on is how do u change gears all the way up to 6 with the car stationary? Maybe once the VAG is plugged in it will let you .

I have a laptop and the cable, and I have downloaded the freeware of VAG COM which shows the DSG engine oil temp.
    Well ... not something I would risk trying. If you stuff it up ... you've surely stuffed your warranty as well.

Dave

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast