Support VWWC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG transmission oil change

Quote Originally Posted by UGR32 View Post
    just because it involves a laptop u dont need to be scared, it is the year 2008 after all.
    That's Quotable. How come you didn't use that approach to after market software? It is 2008 after all.

Dave

UGR32 Guest
    haha, slightly different subject pushing limits of an engine and monitering temperature!

haha, slightly different subject pushing limits of an engine and monitering temperature!
    OK ... your bux ... DO IT!

Dave

UGR32 Guest
    I have ordered the rubber hose for draining the oil, its only thing Im waiting on. Once I receive I will post a big thread with a lot of pics so others can have a go if they want.

It will save you $500 plus get rid of all those millions of metal shavings from the run in period in your transmission. Should increase the life greatly of the DSG.

Users Country Flag
    UGR32...where do you live? Would love to come and watch
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

UGR32 Guest
    Sydney, pm for more details.

I know its the general census that these tranny's are filled for life, however I cant help but think about all the metal shavings floating around in there...

Has anyone had there DSG trans fluid changed? If so is it costly?

I would only like to get it done after the first few thousand kms as after that I doubt there would be much more metal coming off the gears after the first few thousand kms...
    A few thoughts on this:-

1. VW spent millions of dollars developing and testing the DSG, I think they know when it should be serviced. Your dealer said none of their techs had ever changed DSG oil, that should say something.......like it is not necessary and I haven't noticed a swag of VWs with failed DSG boxes on the road.

2. You quote a saving of $500+...don't forget the price of the oil, $260+ as at November 2007 as per the following thread.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...hlight=dsg+oil

3. Why would you spend $70K on a car and then attempt an unnecessary service without the technical expertise and potentially voiding the warranty on the DSG just to save a lousy few hundred dollars?

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    A few thoughts on this:-

1. VW spent millions of dollars developing and testing the DSG, I think they know when it should be serviced. Your dealer said none of their techs had ever changed DSG oil, that should say something.......like it is not necessary and I haven't noticed a swag of VWs with failed DSG boxes on the road.
    But that's like saying that you shouldn't reflash the ECU or you shouldn't use DS2000 brake pads or DBA Gold brake rotors. VW have built their product to a price & part of that is the cost of servicing. Most people don't give a bugger whether the car gets an oil change at 15,000km or 30,000km. They want to buy the car, run it for a few years & trade it in. Any cost of servicing is an excess, so VW set minimum service levels to suit these customers. A mate of mine used to mock me every time I bought decent/expensive synthetic oil & did services at half-intervals because according to him I was keeping the engine in good condition for the next owner.

Boeing, Rolls Royce & General Electric all set minimum service levels on their aircraft which the Flying Kangaroo exceeded for many years, these days they do the minimum allowable & it is starting to bite them.
    2. You quote a saving of $500+...don't forget the price of the oil, $260+ as at November 2007 as per the following thread.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...hlight=dsg+oil
    The service kit including oil is ~USD130 plus freight ($70?). Impex do the oil for USD16 a litre. As usual, Aussie dealers have their snouts in the trough and forget that we have a global economy these days. I'd ask for a discount.

3. Why would you spend $70K on a car and then attempt an unnecessary service without the technical expertise and potentially voiding the warranty on the DSG just to save a lousy few hundred dollars?
    I think he's got a good idea doing the gearbox early and it doesn't sound overly technical at all.

But as for voiding warranty - that I can't answer
    Last edited by brad; 12-08-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

What intrigues me is all the talk that permeates the forum, on the topic of the "shavings" of metal that are gouging out our engines and gearboxes during their early lives.

An engine will be gouged if the oil is not changed at 7500k according to some, who insist on changing the oil at that time. But using that thinking, the worst of the dags would come off before 1000ks, so maybe the oil should be changed then. But what about the dags that have been gouging around since 100ks?

Now it appears the transmission will be saved by changing the oil at 15000ks, but what about the damage that has already ocurred before that. Same as above - if it's necessary to change oil at 15000k, why is it not necessary to change it at 7500k, or 1000k?

Don't forget the wheel bearings, folks - they must have shavings too - better change them at 1000k.

I'll service mine according to VW's schedule, and even then if long-life variants of oils are used, the intervals could safely be left longer, as they are overseas.

Meanwhile I'll flush my shavings down the sink every morning, and be comfortable that the engine and tranny aren't being filed to death.

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
    What intrigues me is all the talk that permeates the forum, on the topic of the "shavings" of metal that are gouging out our engines and gearboxes during their early lives.

An engine will be gouged if the oil is not changed at 7500k according to some, who insist on changing the oil at that time. But using that thinking, the worst of the dags would come off before 1000ks, so maybe the oil should be changed then. But what about the dags that have been gouging around since 100ks?

Now it appears the transmission will be saved by changing the oil at 15000ks, but what about the damage that has already ocurred before that. Same as above - if it's necessary to change oil at 15000k, why is it not necessary to change it at 7500k, or 1000k?

Don't forget the wheel bearings, folks - they must have shavings too - better change them at 1000k.

I'll service mine according to VW's schedule, and even then if long-life variants of oils are used, the intervals could safely be left longer, as they are overseas.

Meanwhile I'll flush my shavings down the sink every morning, and be comfortable that the engine and tranny aren't being filed to death.
    I'm with you on this Gerhard. I don't believe for a second that they set the services to absolute minimums (where's the profit margin in that?) because that would assume that they are willing to up the risks on warranty replacement of parts ... and they are, if nothing else, very smart business men at VW.

Dave

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast