Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG transmission oil change

UGR32 Guest

Ive found out the car has to be off the ground as u need to accelerate enough to get it to 6th gear, which I think is around 50-60kmph.

Im not going to try this with anything less than a proper hoist. so the project is on hold for now.

Quote Originally Posted by UGR32 View Post
    Ive found out the car has to be off the ground as u need to accelerate enough to get it to 6th gear, which I think is around 50-60kmph.

Im not going to try this with anything less than a proper hoist. so the project is on hold for now.
    For heaven's sake man ... talk to your dealer before you try this.

Dave

Users Country Flag
    The only thing Im stuck on is how do u change gears all the way up to 6 with the car stationary? Maybe once the VAG is plugged in it will let you .
    The instructions don't say to run it through to 6th gear. It says:
    shift into each selector lever position and hold it for about 3 seconds.
    Which means put it in P, R, N, D, S, L -+. Whatever positions are available. You would do this with any auto trans service.

Interesting the septics are being quote half what we are but our $ is only 10% below theirs. It seems we never recovered from when we were .45c=1USD
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

UGR32 Guest
    Haha, goes to show how much VW know, I asked a 'technician' and he said you need to raise it up on the hoist and accelerate to get to 6th gear.

Now I know I can do just as good as a job.

Users Country Flag
    Haha, goes to show how much VW know, I asked a 'technician' and he said you need to raise it up on the hoist and accelerate to get to 6th gear.

Maybe I have misinterpreted.
    I used to service automatics but that was when powerglides & trimatics were common.

That how-to is done by a home user. Any idea what the VW manual actually says? (but I think I've got it right anyway - anyone else have a clue?)
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Logzy Guest

I reccommend that you DO NOT do this service yourself if you think that you have to accellerate through each gear up to 6th.
    No where in the instructions for the service does it mention this.

In fact it states that with your foot on the brake you move the gear selector lever through each postition then back to park.
    If you have interpretited this as accellerating in each gear then the service is not going to work out too well for you and i advise that you do not open the bonnet.

For one who was so worried about after-market software (in another thread) ... you seem to be very cavalier about voiding your warranty by undertaking such a complex issue.

Dave

UGR32 Guest
    I didnt interpt anything, VW told me this. anyway we all know what we read, doesnt make us stupid, just misdirected, as long as we get the translation right then its aall goood!

The link I posted to the steps are exactly the same as this link which has diagrams that looks to be from the manu manual

http://www.mkv-gti.net/wiki/index.ph...ansmission_oil

Its easy, remove the air filter box to get to the dsg filter, remove the filter housing, remove and replace filter within housing, replace seal on filter, replace filter. Remove drain plug over flow stick, drain oil, attach filler nipple, attached hose to nipple and feed other end through engine bay to the top where u connect it to the oil bottles, undo lever fill oil to 5.5l, start engine, plug in ur laptop, monitor the transmission temp, shift through lever selections for 3 seconds each, once reached 35-45c remove hose from nipple undercar, let drain should be 1/2-3/4 l, once it starts to drip put bolt back on stop engine. Easy.

If you can change oil u can change transmission oil, just need the right tools.

Users Country Flag
    DSG gearboxes wouldnt be cheap either.
    I reckon if you got it wrong the insurance company would write the car off maybe too. (if they covered you for doing it yourself)
    Definately NOT a backyard weekend job.
    This topic should be in the humour section!!!
    Andrew
    Par 6 Golf GTI. Coilovers, BBS CH Wheels, APR'd
    Caddy van 05/07 (colourcoded) (BRIGHT! orange!) coilovers, Konis 18in. wheels, Oettinger tuned

UGR32 Guest

just because it involves a laptop u dont need to be scared, it is the year 2008 after all.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast