Thread: Dsg scavenger oil pump

Dsg scavenger oil pump

Hi. I’ve been a member a year or so. Have not really posted much.

I wondering has any fitted a 12volt electric oil scavenger pump to their dsg external oil cooler.

I’ve done some research on the pumps and their flow rates. Which are approximately 14 litres per minute. Personally I believe this to much. So I also found a 12v motor speed controller ( pwm) which I will be able to control the pumps rate of flow to a more respectable 4-5 litres per minute.

My thoughts on installation would be fitting the pump on the return line and obviously correctly wired with a relay and suitable fuse.

If anyone has any thoughts about this or even if it’s good/bad idea.

I’d be happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Do even need a pump ?
    The stock setup pumps DSG oil to the engine oil cooler, which uses engine coolant to exchange the heat. So I assume there is already a pump. If you swap this out to a dedicated air cooler would it not use the same internal pump ?
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Hi JustCruisn. I thought the same. Yet the original heat exchanger “fixed” loop from output to input could be measured with a standard 30cm ruler.

Installing a external dsg oil cooler adds a good few feet to both the output and return dsg oil lines. I not sure of the original set up would suffice.

I not sure of the original pumps flow rates or pressure ratings. Hence the idea of the scavenger pump idea.

I seen really expensive dsg coolers like the SSP set up which incorporates a return pump.

Thankx for your reply

Users Country Flag
    Which DSG?

6sp has it's own cooler/heat exchanger, as well as internal pump to feed the clutch pack.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Hi umai Naa!!

It’s a 6 speed dq250

Users Country Flag
    I looked at this years ago when I had a DSG DSG ICECAP Cooling System : USRT, Usually Sideways Rally Team
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Cheers. I already have a very similar set up. What I’m thinking of doing. Is adding an electric scavenger oil pump on the return oil line back into the gearbox.