Thread: DSG hard change 3rd > 4th

DSG hard change 3rd > 4th

Hi All,

The DSG in my MY08 Golf GTI occasionally will change harshly from 3rd to 4th, and very rarely 4th to 5th. All other gears are perfect and it's only on up shifts and with light/ to moderate throttle. It doesn't feel like a mechanical hard change but rather a pause/ hesitation in acceleration right as the gear is changing which results in a violet shake in the cabin. I have no other gearbox symptoms, i.e it's very smooth on take off and reverse.

I've noticed it almost always happens when the car is in D. It's only happened in manual mode once. I had the gearbox recently serviced, which I was hoping would fix it but it didn't, and furthermore the mechanic who did the DSG service couldn't replicate the fault and told me its normal for DSG gearboxes to be unsmooth at times. I know it's not normal, as even my wife picks up on it now, which is saying something.

My gut tells me its software, well at least thats what I hope rather than mechatronics. Does anyone know what VW charges for a DSG software update?

Cheers,
    Jesse
    MKV GTI

Users Country Flag
    My 07 125kw Passat wagon has done the same on a few occasions, mostly under very heavy accel. I am going to invest in a VCS dongle to get the DSG reset.

Did you fix it?
    I seem to have the same problem with my mk7 gti with DSG

VWVortex.com

Hey Guys just make sure vehicle has no fault codes in system otherwise it wont accept the relearn (base settings) there is several procedures including clutch adaptions, really needs to be done with a VW type scan tool
    good luck!!
    Automatics of Marion
    Audi & VW Transmission repairs & Servicing
    DSG, CVT, Valvebodies, Modules, & Mechatronics
    PM me for Quotes

Users Country Flag

Yeah full VCDS DSG reset would be a good start followed by the long smooth drive to have it adapt.
    The shop that did the DSG service should have VCDS cable, they should have used it it to determine the correct temp to check the oil level when replacing the oil originally.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.