Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Lock installed but external handle now a bit loose.

Users Country Flag

Door Lock installed but external handle now a bit loose.

Hi guys,

Followed a good youtube video and DIY (can add links when home if anyone wants them) to install my RHF door lock actuator from an ebay seller for $83 shipped. (Cheers Umai Naa!!)

The lock works as intended, the only thing is that it seems like there's less resistance in the handles now when opening the door, both inside and out, and the external handle seems to 'float' a few mm away from the door skin when in operation.

I've done the install and reseated the handle about 4 or 5 times with no luck. For those that have done this, The cable with the black tab is sitting as far to the outside of the external handle as possible, and the torx screw that holds the lock cylinder is screwed tight with the handle held out and the cylinder pushed in when tightening.

Any other thoughts of things to check or retry?

Cheers
    Last edited by gle1234; 24-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Users Country Flag
    So that cheap ebay lock has some large tollerances in it?

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Could be I guess, but I had a similar issue with one of the other locks replaced by VW once too. That time I just got them to fix it.

Users Country Flag
    Did the new lock include the wire to the handle ? Maybe use the original, also check that it is seated correctly on the lock part.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    There's a black art to getting these right. They are never as straight-forward as they appear.

Can you still remove the key lock/end cap without undoing the screw? If so, the handle and end cap may not be seated in the inner bracket correctly. Be super careful trying to sort it out, as the inner bracket is only cast alloy, and very brittle. Break that, and that's $100 down the toilet.

Also, as per above, check that you don't have too much slack in the pull cable. You may just need to pop it out of the handle, and re-position it slightly.

Users Country Flag
    I can't help you with the fix because I can't remember what the trick was, but I had a similar issue with an oem lock in my mk5. Took a few goes but got it in the end. Wish I could give you more than that...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks all, yeah it seems like there's a science to it.

The replacement did not come with cables, I left the cable to the inner door handle in place, and just reattached when I installed the new actuator, same with the small pull cable that attaches to the external handle, this was removed off the old actuator and reinstalled. in the same place in the handle as when I removed it as I documented the removal process.

I might give it a few more tries tomorrow morning and report back.

I did take pictures of the cable locations before I uninstalled and I'm sure I replicated that when reinstalling but hey, as mentioned above, seems like a bit of a science in getting this right.

Still, it's pretty interesting figuring out how these work, I was (more of) a novice last time I paid the dealer to do it, and I didn't have $500 to spend on a dealer job this time.

other option - taking apart the OEM module and cleaning that out!
    Last edited by gle1234; 24-10-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gle1234 View Post
    Followed a good youtube video and DIY (can add links when home if anyone wants them)
    I for one would like to see the links & may help others looking at this thread in the future.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    I for one would like to see the links & may help others looking at this thread in the future.
    I'd done a lot of reading over a couple of months, but when it came time to go through with it, I read these 2 pages and watched the video for 'technique'.

VWVortex.com - DIY - Passenger Side Door Skin Removal

Door skin removal and door handle replacement - mk5 VW | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLEefcJQp8

It is relatively straightforward but you need to take care when reinstalling the metal unit that holds the handle, (retainer?).

I took photos as i uninstalled to ensure i put everything back in the correct manner.

Speaking of which, everything in the door is working as intended, reasonably satisfied, its just a matter of the external handle having less resistance than the original when pulled to open. As mentioned before, it might be an unavoidable 'feature' of a lock that costs $83 instead of $330.

I'm going to satisfy my curiosity and thoroughly clean the old lock and the contacts, maybe one day i'll put it back in and see what happens.

Thanks for the links. Mine still works but is a bit harder on the front passengers door to open. I always thought there must be some form of adjustment. I have tried door handles that pull out on competitors cars e.g. the Hilux that are easier/smoother to open.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast