Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door Lock installed but external handle now a bit loose.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Update: My front right (driver) door lock is still going strong, but now my front left (passenger) actuator has now gone and the door won't unlock most of the time without a gentle bang on the door skin. That's all 4 original actuators stuffing up in the last 3 years.

As there's no chance of my blowing over $300 on a replacement from VW, I managed to find a replacement actuator (same make as previous) for $31 and can't wait to do the install when it arrives.

Users Country Flag
    ^ got a source for these actuators? looks like my front passenger is dying

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

Users Country Flag
    D2PAutoparts on Ebay.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Looks to be these guys
    D2Pautoparts | eBay Stores
    Seller d2pautoparts10
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

I bought the one in the OP from D2Pautoparts, but this time just bit the bullet with this actuator from ebay as it was even cheaper and shipping was quicker. The part looks like it's from the same manufacturer.

I installed and it feels ever better thank the last time.

In fact, it went so well, I think i'm going to pull off the driver's door again and have another go at it. Going back to my original conundrum, I think the looseness in the handle has something to do with the black plastic piece in the retainer that has a spring seated in it which adds resistance to the door handle when pulled, not in the actuator itself because this time it's perfect.
    Last edited by gle1234; 06-02-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Users Country Flag
    thanks for the link guys will pick one up
    i'd actually picked one up before christmas last year, seemed to open from the outside fine but once you close it and it locks the inside handle won't unlock it on the first pull to open it and once that happens the handle on the outside won't open it either

as for your loose handle problem, did you set the handle preload? described in this video

just realised the link in the above post doesn't work, got the seller name?
    Last edited by vinnY; 15-02-2018 at 09:42 AM.

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    thanks for the link guys will pick one up
    i'd actually picked one up before christmas last year, seemed to open from the outside fine but once you close it and it locks the inside handle won't unlock it on the first pull to open it and once that happens the handle on the outside won't open it either

as for your loose handle problem, did you set the handle preload? described in this video

just realised the link in the above post doesn't work, got the seller name?
    Hi mate, the ebay seller's name is hatchso, give this link a whirl: Front Left Side Door Lock Mechanism 9 PIN Fit VW GOLF MK5 Jetta 2003-2008 2009 | eBay

Also, I didn't set the handle preload just seated the plastic handle properly into the springed clip upon reinstallation and all's working as expected. I haven't experienced the issue you described with the new locks. that sounds like what was happening with the one i replaced. (would only open on second pull from inside handle only).

Users Country Flag

finally got around to this, ended up with another seller since hatchso's out of stock
    ended up being about 34aud delivered and oddly enough was despatched within australia

replaced it all in about 15 minutes, ended up removing that preload spring and just clipped it into the handle as per usual and tightened down the dummy lock and it's all nice and taught no floppy handle

seems to open from the outside and inside no problem as well as the double pull to unlock and get out from the inside

cw.mkv.gti.034ms,s2+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12