Thread: Dashmat query?

Users Country Flag

Dashmat query?

Hello.
    I’ve just arrived from the UK with my MK5 and I’m noticing how hot the dash gets while driving, sun in through the front windscreen etc. I’m sure it doesn’t make the aircon’s life any easier.

Has anyone experimented with a dashmat, but with a cut to fit sunshade (metalic bubble wrap kind) underneath?

Cheers.

Users Country Flag
    Dashmat will stop the dash from getting too hot, getting damaged by the UV and from reflecting heat into the car. A sunshade on the windscreen plus window tinting will make a bigger difference in keeping your car cool (stops the car heating up too much while it is parked in the sun).
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    You're allowed to tint front windows?

Users Country Flag
    Yes, we are allowed to tint front side windows and a strip at the top of the front windscreen (the guys in the industry should be able to tell you the exact dimensions that are allowed). However the remainder of the front windscreen must be untinted and the tinting on the side and rear windows must be legal (there is a limit on how much light the tint must let through).

Your other alternative is to get a solar reflective front windscreen but it is not a cheap option, as usually you will have to get it custom made aftermarket.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI

I have the screen shade and have just ordered a dashmat. I’ll see how it goes.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Unzippy View Post
    Has anyone experimented with a dashmat, but with a cut to fit sunshade (metalic bubble wrap kind) underneath?
    I purchased a dashmat when my Mk5 was new, mainly to stop UV damage. I have noticed when driving in hot weather & you lift the mat & put your hand between the mat & dash it's very hot. I thought about packers of some sort but my wife said that this would encourage the dash mat to go out of shape. I will be interested if you come up with something that works.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

It works.
    About 5-10 deg difference between the dash and metallic bubble wrap compared to between the metallic bubble wrap and the underside of the dash mat.
    But it was a ball ache cutting the bubble wrap to fit and getting it in place. And then trimming it again so you can't see any shiny bits peeking out.

Users Country Flag

Glad to read that you have come up with a solution that works for you.