Thread: City lights in Bi-Xenon headlight as Day Running Lights + switchback turn signals.

Users Country Flag

City lights in Bi-Xenon headlight as Day Running Lights + switchback turn signals.

Hey guys, just wanted to share my latest mod, I have added a control module to the CECM to allow the city lights on the MK5 to be used as Day Runnings Lights (DRLs) like those found in a lot of newer vw/audi models.

The controller integrates really well with the light system activating DRLs when car is in AUTO light mode and it is day time but allowing them to function normally otherwise.

This controller also allows the city lights to be turned off when the turn signal is on.

Check it out:

2008 VW R32 - Milltek Catback - APR

Users Country Flag
    I've always wondered what city lights are - are they just the parkers, and why are they called city lights anyway?
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    I NEED THIS!

Gimme the deets!

Users Country Flag
    Looks great man!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    -:2007 MK5 GT Sport 1.4TSI DSG:-
    Reflex Silver | Sharan Bee Sting Antenna | Resonator Delete

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    I've always wondered what city lights are - are they just the parkers, and why are they called city lights anyway?
    Coz 'merika.
    Ebrake is another one.
    & Trunk

I like the colour of the light there, what bulb are you using ?
    All LED I have tried fail, even the 'no code' ones.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by benough View Post
    I NEED THIS!

Gimme the deets!
    I built a little microcontroller board which piggybacks off the CECM and is able to read inputs and outputs from light switch and indicators etc.

The microcontroller then inserts logic into the high side drivers of the CECM which control the lights. It's some fiddly soldering but this was IMO the best way of achieving this as it means no splicing of cables is required and because it uses the existing hardware in the CECM it doesn't cause any nuisance errors.

Here is the control module:
    City lights in Bi-Xenon headlight as Day Running Lights + switchback turn signals.-3avzvef[1]-jpg

Users Country Flag
    That is badass!

I was hoping it was something I could buy. Ah well

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Coz 'merika.
    Ebrake is another one.
    & Trunk

I like the colour of the light there, what bulb are you using ?
    All LED I have tried fail, even the 'no code' ones.
    The parker lights are a high brightness bulb which is designed for foglights which I modified to fit into the housing.

The turn signals are LEDs also and are a module which I designed using some high output OSRAM LEDs. I am currently working on the next revision of these with some good improvements before I will make them available to others.

Users Country Flag

Shut up and take my money!

I know the same generation as the MKV Golf, A3 behave in the same way, but buying CECM from one and making it work in a Golf may be a huge ball ache