Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel light indicator on. HELP!

wheel light indicator on. HELP!

Hi guys

I just experienced a puncture on my passenger side rear tyre. The flat tyre indicator light lit up on my dash with the audible "bing!". I knew something didn't sound right either even before the sound happened.

Anyway, I pulled over at the nearest servo I could and put some air in firstly. Put 35psi in to see if my tyre had just gone flat and needed sme more air or if it was a puncture. After the air was put in, it made a very loud hissing noise and so I knew it was the tyre that was fked. I jacked the car up, put the spare wheel on and put the wheel back in the boot

When I started the car up again, it started up and i heard the "bing" again. the indicatr light was still on!! I tried pressing the button next to the ESP but it wouldn't do anything.

My question is....WHATS WRONG WITH IT?! WHy wont it go away even after I changed the wheel and put air in all 4 wheels just to make sure theyre pumped up? I can't see why the indicator light is still on....

P.S none of the other 3 wheels are flat by the way. and I also turned the ignition off, took the key out and started the car up again 3 times.....and all 3 times it made the same noise saying there is a flat tyre somewhere when there aint.!

Have you tried reading the manual? or a search of the forum?

Users Country Flag
    I think the system needs to be reset so that it knows you've acknowledged that you've had a flat. I guess changing the tire simply isn't enough for the car

Good luck mate!!
    2002 Volkswagen Bora V5 - 2007 Mazda 3 GT - 1998 Ford Contour Sport - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T - 2013 Volkswagen Passat 130TDI - 2015 Ford Escape 1.5 - 2016 Subaru WRX - 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon

all the tyres need to be set to the same pressure. and i mean EXACT same pressure. then reset it.

problem solved....

i hope. otherwise i dunno man. haha. but seriously, make sure they are all the exact same pressure and reset it, then it should be fine. if not go to a dealer and let them plug in and see what the fault is.

-steve

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Shteifen View Post
    all the tyres need to be set to the same pressure. and i mean EXACT same pressure. then reset it.

problem solved....

i hope. otherwise i dunno man. haha. but seriously, make sure they are all the exact same pressure and reset it, then it should be fine. if not go to a dealer and let them plug in and see what the fault is.

-steve
    Didn't know they all had to be the same pressure... I've noticed that when I get one wheel down, it doesn't alarm me at all. That could be the reason for it. Thanks
    2002 Volkswagen Bora V5 - 2007 Mazda 3 GT - 1998 Ford Contour Sport - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T - 2013 Volkswagen Passat 130TDI - 2015 Ford Escape 1.5 - 2016 Subaru WRX - 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by maca View Post
    Didn't know they all had to be the same pressure... I've noticed that when I get one wheel down, it doesn't alarm me at all. That could be the reason for it. Thanks
    They don't, when you press the button you start a calibration process that can take 10+ kms to complete. Doesn't matter if one tyre is 10+ PSI difference.

Hence why if people don't take the time to learn how to use the system not only is it useless it's dangerous as it lulls them into a false sense of security.

The system is also not reliable and can take quite a while before it activates (>30% pressure loss if the leak is slow).

so how does one "reset' the system?
    do I hold the button down? if so, how long? and do i hold it down when I am driving or stationary?

OK... It wont do it stationary

As you drive off straight... press the button and hold. Let go when it bings again. Recal complete.

Bazzle
    Prev 2008 R32 3 door DSG.
    Prev 2010 S3 Sportback Stronic.
    Now Lexus IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by bazzle View Post
    OK... It wont do it stationary

As you drive off straight... press the button and hold. Let go when it bings again. Recal complete.

Bazzle
    You reset it when the car is stationary after filling up the tyres. It doesn't matter if the wheels are turned or not either.

The calibration can take 10+ km and during this time the system won't be able to warn of any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    You reset it when the car is stationary after filling up the tyres. It doesn't matter if the wheels are turned or not either.

The calibration can take 10+ km and during this time the system won't be able to warn of any problems.

well after I changed to the spare, I drove my gf home to her place which was only about 2 kms away from the servo I changed it from and the light was still on.....

I let the car "cool down" so to speak and I stayed over at hers for about an hour or so.....then when I turn the car on.....the bing was still there but as I drove off, I held down the button as to what bazzle said. it worked. no more light!!!

the distance between my house and hers is about 25kms so hopefully now its properly calibrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast