Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABS issues

Users Country Flag

If the engine is running the battery won't affect the operation of the electrics in the car.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    If the engine is running the battery won't affect the operation of the electrics in the car.
    Unless the alternator is dead or not putting out enough amps, but then the car would die shortly after all those warnings.

Given the OP says "tyre pressure, esp, steering and abs light" these are all related as they would be controlled from a common module.
    But until a scan is performed it is just too hard to say.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Normally I would agree.

I did have one car in which the (rather large) amp for my stereo would cut out/wipers shudder/lights dim (to the bass) while driving.

I thought for sure it was the alternator as the voltage was below 12V with the engine runninv and the car started fine.

What actually happened was battery was a drawing massive loads from the alternator.

Once I replaced the battery car was fine again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Had a couple now that needed a new fuse powerbox as the abs unit was getting low power(around 7v) so the unit would not power up.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Sadly i wish i could say it was just the battery but nope new abs module and pump, $2800 ....

Why this has not been recalled in Aus is beyond me...

Users Country Flag
    Sorry to hear that. Mine failed last year in a big way at the end of the main straight at Sandown! I ended up replacing mine myself but it was a big job for a relatively inexperienced guy like me. Was a good justification for me to buy a VCDS cable though.

$2800 is worth the piece of mind that your ABS and ESC will work when you really need it.

Users Country Flag

This is a recall - 2009 GTI - initially a software update to lower the tolerance that the fault triggers (had my software done March 17, never had issues - just took it in for the recall) fault is poor earth in the ABS module I believe. Now Feb 2018 unit has failed - all the flashy lights and a reset lasts about 3 days before they reappear - took to VW and they have agreed to replace the module under the recall, just waiting on parts....fingers crossed!!

Recall notice is 45F2, google it for more info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12