Thread: Mkv gti. Standard clutch OK for stage 2 ish tune?

Users Country Flag

Mkv gti. Standard clutch OK for stage 2 ish tune?

hi all. As per the title....

I will install a wavetrack or quaife soonish - and change the clutch at the same time. Just a question

Can a standard clutch take a stage 2 or equivalent ( about 400nm apparently?) tune ? I will not be drag racing. Just track days.

Users Country Flag
    In the short term it will survive, but you would be wise to put the money aside for the inevitable.
    Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    In the short term it will survive, but you would be wise to put the money aside for the inevitable.
    Gavin

cheers for the quick reply. I ask as google tells me mixed reviews - pressure plate , disc or both not quite sure. What combo would YOU suggest ?

Also , would it be overkill to replace the DMF at the same time ? There is a couple of LUK items on ebay for a reasonable price. Getting it swapped out at a VW dealer or even normal mech is an expensive exercise

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    cheers for the quick reply. I ask as google tells me mixed reviews - pressure plate , disc or both not quite sure. What combo would YOU suggest ?

Also , would it be overkill to replace the DMF at the same time ? There is a couple of LUK items on ebay for a reasonable price. Getting it swapped out at a VW dealer or even normal mech is an expensive exercise

If you leave it until it starts to slip the chances are the DMF will be toast. Unless you are doing it yourself and pull the gearbox first before ordering the bits, you'll never know.

Personally, I'd get everything and be done. Should be less than 4 hours labour to do the job.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    If you leave it until it starts to slip the chances are the DMF will be toast. Unless you are doing it yourself and pull the gearbox first before ordering the bits, you'll never know.

Personally, I'd get everything and be done. Should be less than 4 hours labour to do the job.

Gavin
    Thanks again - I do realise you misunderstood my initial post tho hehe - sorry mate!

What I meant was

Will a NEW standard clutch kit suffice a stage 2 (+/- 400nm) setup ?
    And should I install a new DMF at the same time ?

PS I will be doing all labour , hence thinking of replacing all parts at the same time

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

how about a normal single mass flywheel ? Searching shows
    Some issues with tuned cars and the DMF

Users Country Flag

A new standard one would do the job however, if you can get a cover with more clamping, it would be better in the long run.

Saves having to do the job twice.

There are uprated kits, I can't give you a recommendation though.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Thanks again - I do realise you misunderstood my initial post tho hehe - sorry mate!

What I meant was

Will a NEW standard clutch kit suffice a stage 2 (+/- 400nm) setup ?
    And should I install a new DMF at the same time ?

PS I will be doing all labour , hence thinking of replacing all parts at the same time

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

how about a normal single mass flywheel ? Searching shows
    Some issues with tuned cars and the DMF